Polaris SL650 [History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris SL650 [History

I have had this jetski since "92" , have had a number of problems with it! Starting with the engine not running hot enough to burn fuel. So they recalled it and added a thermostat and platinum spark plugs because it ran to rich and fouled them out! After repeated starting of machine, starter had to be replaced because of the hard starting. ($520.00) In"95" had middle cylinder rebuilt , no compression. Cost me $756.00 (Still have low hrs. on engine). My question is:

Took it out this summer first time in years!
    used a little either and it started right up, went through a full tank of gas then it stalled right away. Turned dial to reserve started it again, took off! But it only had 50% of its power to plain out. thought it just need more gas, well added 2 gallons. that didnt work now im clueless to why?

Please dont tell me that the cylinder dont have compression because i ran it to reserve! Ive went thru this before and a few summers of it being held up in the shop for repair !@##!@#

Now here I am again with same old problem, yes this has happened before with power failure.

Please give me some good news for the first time that I have owned this thing?

:(
    Last edited by Bill Green; 06-28-2004, 05:10 PM. Reason: hit enter button by accident

Re: Polaris SL650 [History

Bill:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when I read the part about "took it out this summer for the first time in years", I cringed.

You may have just leaned out a cylinder or two due to varnished gas not allowing one or more of them to get the proper fuel flow, and thereby burning it up. You can't let one of these motors sit idle for years and then expect it to work perfectly. It's actually good to run them periodically, and certainly more often than (if I get you right on the last time was 1995?) every nine years.

Hey, I hope for your sake I'm wrong. But you need to get a compression test on it first thing. If the compression is more than 5% lower than the others (I think the proper is about 120-125 lbs) then you got a blown motor.

Again, I hope I'm sadly wrong. Others will come in here too and let you know their thoughts, including Tech Support.

Comment

Thats right its like the old saying "if you don't use it, you lose it" letting the ski sit will clog up the jets in the carbs and cause the ski to run lean. YOu really should run the ski in my opinion atleast once a month for a few minutes to prevent this.

Comment

I may get blasted on this, but it's just my opinion. The first mistake you made was using ether. I've known some who use it religiously, but ether can and will eat a diaphrams among other things in a heartbeat. At any rate, you can check some of the other posts regarding the fuel issues with the Polaris older models but from what you describe I'd bet you now have a hole in the piston. The more difficult question is going to be what caused it. I found out the hard way (2 pistons later) that several things can cause the leaning out problems.

Comment

Hey ,

Wow here I am again and I just now read your reply to my SL650 problem? 3 yrs. later !! LOL
          By the way thanx for your reply to that posting !! Sry for not responding to it, I wasnt very familiar with the posting and how to reply back at the time?

Now that I have returned to sbt and purchased a reconditioned engine ! Im checking out all the new and old postings !! Hehehe

Getting rdy to install the new one , looking for answers!
          and a little more familiar with this website now.

Talk to later !!
          Hope your still on?

Bill Green

Originally posted by ShowMePro1200
          Bill:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when I read the part about "took it out this summer for the first time in years", I cringed.

You may have just leaned out a cylinder or two due to varnished gas not allowing one or more of them to get the proper fuel flow, and thereby burning it up. You can't let one of these motors sit idle for years and then expect it to work perfectly. It's actually good to run them periodically, and certainly more often than (if I get you right on the last time was 1995?) every nine years.

Hey, I hope for your sake I'm wrong. But you need to get a compression test on it first thing. If the compression is more than 5% lower than the others (I think the proper is about 120-125 lbs) then you got a blown motor.

Again, I hope I'm sadly wrong. Others will come in here too and let you know their thoughts, including Tech Support.
          Last edited by BillGreen; 04-28-2007, 09:53 AM. Reason: Name wrong
          Polaris Power

Comment

Working...
          X