Messed up oil pump doing 951 GTXL install, help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messed up oil pump doing 951 GTXL install, help

While installing my cables from the oil pump to my carb I must have pulled too hard and sprung the oil pump spring (I was working upside down using a mirror at the time). I was a couple of steps away from completeing a new SBT install. Now I'm guessing my oil pump is belly up since the oil lever goes round and round. Do I have to remove the oil pump and use a block off kit, or can I just leave it in, disconnet the oil pump cable from the carb and use premix? Removing it means disconnecting the exhast pipe, removing it, blocking the engine, removeing the flywheel cover, etc, etc, etc.... Please give me a safe and easier way.

Where I went wrong was trying to hook up the oil pump cable after the were carbs installed as directions indicate. I think it is much easier to hook up the cables with the carb in the bottom of boat before being attached to the engine so you don't have to work upside down with a mirror. Adding this to the reinstall instructions will really help the next person.

Thanks.

Re: Messed up oil pump doing 951 GTXL install, help

You can fix this easily. Remove the oil pump and then fix the spring. The oil pump is fine. I have done this a few times as well.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Can I remove only the pump from the flywheel housing to fix the spring, or do I have to remove the housing as well?? Also, in messing with the pump, I have a fair amount of oil that dripped into the hull. Which I'm assuming came from the pump. Am I screwed? Does the flywheel housing have to come off to install a block off plate if my pump is bad?

Comment

Yes the housing must come off if you plan to block off the oil pump. You need to remove the plastic drive behind the mag cover.

It is extremely hard to work on the oil pump with the exhaust pipe in the way, so I remove them before working on the oil pump. It is possible to remove the pump without removing the whole magneto cover.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
        X