Stored for 1 1/2 yrs! What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stored for 1 1/2 yrs! What to do?

I'm purchasing, for a small amount, a 94 S.S. 750 ski that has been stored for a year and a half and am wondering what I should do before I start it up. Now I'd like two lists; one thinking," hey I don't have much invested here, I'll throw some plugs and new gas in and go." the other is " I'm going to do this right and make sure nothing is wrong." Thanks for your help. I'm going tonight to test drive or pick-up.

Re: Stored for 1 1/2 yrs! What to do?

First Of All Drain The Fuel Tank Completly And Replace With Fresh Fuel And Replace Fuel Filter. Change Plugs. Make Sure Oil Reservoir Has Oil If Oil Injection Is Still There And Battery Is Charged Or New. The 94 Have Keihen Carbs That Are Notorious For Losing Prime And Taking A While To Prime Up After Sitting. Choke And Try To Start. If It Does Not Crank In A Few Tries Prime The Motor With A Dribble Of Gas Oil Mix In The Carb Throat. It Wouldnt Be A Bad Idea To Put A Little Oil In The Carb Throat Prior To Cranking To Lube The Bearings Since It Has Been Sitting 1.5 Yrs.run On A Hose To Ensure No Leaks And Then Go For A Ride. Make Sure Motor Is Running Normal Temp. I Have Seen Skis That Have Set Up A While Have Dirt Dobber Nests In The Coolong Line Frokm The Pump. Good Luck.
    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Do what he says but if the ski bogs at all or just seems slugish STOP riding it and rebuild the carbs. They are probably clogged up. If you continue to ride it like this it will lean out the motor and cause you more headache.

Comment

i would recomend spraying fogging oil in the plug holes, turn the motor over by hand a few times, aslo i use fogging oil as a primer to start. lubricates well, as well as primes. zig
        please visit my link with pics of my many parts for sale

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/radracingpics/my_photos

email radracingpwc@aol.com

Comment

If you can and have the right tool, after all that make shore the compression is okay. 110-120 you should by okay..
          JB

Comment

I would not even run that motor until the carbs have been rebuilt and cleaned with a couple cans of carb cleaner. Just because it may run does not mean the ethanol untreated fuel did not varnish up the carb. Fresh fuel, Fresh carbs, Fresh fuel filter and then replace spark plugs. Fog cylinders and send premix down the carbs and start her up. You now should have no concerns about the fuel delivery system and the extra oil in the cylinders is for good measure since this motor has been sitting for a long time. To drain the gas tank use and fuel line with primer bulb used on outboard kicker motors. Once drained, elevate the front of the ski and add some more gas to the take to help wash any debris to the rear bottom of the tank and then siphon that dirty fuel out too. After riding for a hour or two check your new inline fuel filter for sediment or other grunge on the bottom of the filter. Take off and drain and push new fuel into the filter and shake and drain to get that gunk out of there, then reinstall the filter, keep a watchful eye on the filter. Every season I strip down the carbs and clean them thoroughly and scrub off the ethanol varnish. Before the end of the riding season I start to use non ethanol fuel and treat all the fuel for winterization. Up here in the North country winter can start unexpectantly in a week and this prevents me from getting caught. Then just fog the carbs really well and cylinders, spray the motor with silicone spray and take out the battery. Winterization is done. Don't forget to rev motor out of the water to get all water out of the motor and exhaust. Every month or so put battery on battery tender to keep the charge up.

Comment

Working...
            X