Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 GP1200 - Fuel Indicator Not Accurate

Hi all,

I have a 97 GP 1200 and the fuel indicator always reads "Low Fuel" and on every start up, beeps continuosly until I press "Mode".

I am relatively mechanically inclined, and I figure there must be a float or something in the tank that is gummed up and stuck.

I know that there is always a full tank when I first go out on the water each day, so do you guys have any suggestions?

Could it be electrical?

A friend of mine just had his entire instrument cluster replaced on his 97 GP1200 and it still does the same thing.

We both have the same problem.

Please help.

Re: 97 GP1200 - Fuel Indicator Not Accurate

It's rare on that model, but yes it's the float. You need to remove the handlebars and front cowl to access the baffle assembly.

Otherwise you can short the two sending wires going into the tank to show a full tank on the gauge.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks.

Are there any special tools required to remove the handlebar? There's a little play in the handlebars already, and I was hoping to tighten them up anyway.

How many hours do you approximate it would all take?

(Reason I ask is that I want to be able to ride it tomorrow, but if I can get it done today, I would start it today)

Thanks again,

Comment

It's about a 2 hour job. Nothing required except a phillips screwdriver and some sockets.

Comment

Great, Thanks again.

I just dug out my Owners and Service Manual and am reading through it.

I will be sure to let you know the results.

Thanks again,

Comment

I'm reading through the service manual and is the "Pipe Joint Assembly" where the float would be?

Comment

No, it's on the baffle assembly going down into the tank - where all the lines attatch.

Comment

Once I get the float out of the tank, are there any precautions you recommend?

Also, what is okay to clean it with?

Comment

I replaced the fuel pickup/sending unit (or I guess its also called the "baffle") earlier this spring on my '98 GP1200 for the same reason you describe (surprisingly the pickup worked fine when I hooked up an digital ohm meter and tested the resistance while moving the float by hand out of the tank but could never get it to work in the tank, so I replaced it and the new one works fine).

But in anycase, I did not have to remove the handlebars to replace it.

1) Start with as little gas in the tank as possible. Siphon it out if necessary (you can hook up a siphon hose to the reserve pickup line on the top of the tank).
                  2) disconnect all the fuel and vent lines connected to the fuel pickup/sender (make sure they are labeled before disconnecting... if not, label them).
                  3) loosen/disconnect the hold-down straps on the gas tank.
                  4) drain and set aside the oil tank (mine is always empty as I premix).
                  5) disconnect the fuel filler hose on the front of the tank.
                  6) loosen the pipe clamp holding the fuel pickup onto the tank and carefully using a screwdriver pry it out of the tank.
                  7) tip/tilt the top of the fuel tank back towards the motor while sliding the bottom of the tank towards the front of the ski...
                  8) there should be just enough room to pull the fuel pickup out of the tank on the engine side. It's a tight fit, but it will slide out.
                  9) use the reverse steps to install the new fuel pickup.

Comment

thanks for the tip...

earlier today i removed the top cover, and manuevered around not having to completely remove the handlebar.

i removed the baffle, and cleaned the float a little. i made sure it was able to slide up and down the baffle.

have yet to test to see if it works, but if it doesn't, i'll just replace the whole thing.

thanks again.

Comment

unfortunately cleaning it didn't do the trick.

do you know of a good online source to purchase the part?

Comment

www.hlsm.com

Comment

over the weekend my waverunner stalled out on the water.

after getting towed back to shore, i couldn't get it to start anymore. (cranks, but won't kick in)

now that i am on dry land, i replaced the plugs (they were wet) and filled up the gas and oil again.

i deducted that the engine is not getting gas, because:

a) when i spray a little starting fluid in the airbox, it will kick over until the fluid is burned.

b) i pulled the hose going into the fuel filter assembly, and hit start, and no fuel was coming out of the hose.

is this correct? or does the fuel sender (in the tank) work on suction from the fuel pump (carburetor)?

thanks for the help,

p.s. i think the fuel sender will fix the fuel level indicator, but now the question is, should fuel be coming out of the hose when i disconnect it from the filter?

Comment

Only a very small amount of fuel should not come out of the hose connected to the fuel filter since fuel is pulled thru the filter by vacuum created by the fuel pump diaphrams in the carbs.

Are you sure you got the fuel/vent lines hooked back up correctly to the fuel sender unit after you reinstalled it?? That is what I would double check first.

Another thing to try is while you have it out of the water, loosen the gas cap and see if you can get it running while on a water hose... sometimes the gas tank check valve gets plugged and it creates a vacuum in the tank... typically, if this is the case it will run for a couple of minutes, then sputter and die as the vacuum is created in the tank.

Comment

1200ks - Thanks for replying.

I am positive all the lines are correct on the fuel sender because it ran perfectly all day saturday and half of sunday. (I removed and cleaned the fuel sender float on thursday) Also, I tried starting it up with no gas cap, and it didn't help.

Is there anyway to check how much fuel is going into the carbs since it's pulled in, not pushed in?

Also, are there any critical set screws or linkages that could of vibrated off and can cause this problem?

Reason I ask is everything was running fine, so I am doubtful the filters in the carbs are clogged up.

p.s. the fuel sender tested okay according to the test in the service manual. the part is $130. is there anything else that can cause the low fuel indicator to malfunction?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X