1995 750 ZXI Jet pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 750 ZXI Jet pump

I have spun out a bearing in the jet pump of a 1995 Kawasaki 750 ZXI jet ski. I pulled the cone on teh jet pump and the bearings fell out and some were flat. I have ordered teh parts from a local dealer and should have them in a week.

Three questions.

1. What is a common cause of this problem?

2. Would I be better off to take this to shop or can I attmept this repair myself? I have a mechanic friend who is familiar with jet ski pumps?

3. What should I look out for during this repair?

Thanks

jsp

Re: 1995 750 ZXI Jet pump

Have your friend replace the bearings. You have to know a little about jet pumps, like how to take off the impeller witch can be hard to do. Be they, so you know the next time. Good Luck
    JB

Comment

What do you mean they fell out and were flat? That should be a sealed roller bearing. Most common cause of failure is water leakage past the shaft seals and the rubber o-ring seal on the cone, and water (usually salt), that sits inside of the cone enters the bearing past the bearings seals and then it corrodes it, eventually you get bearing siezure. This pump is very easy to remove, repair, and re-build. You will need a special impellor tool, though. If you plan on servicing your own ski, it would be a wise investment. Would also strongly suggest a bearing and race driver set. Your mechanic friend should have one. I strongly suggest that you replace all of the seals and bearings too, I did. Hope that this helps. If you have any more specific questions I would be happy to help.....Rob
      ride it like you stole it

Comment

The rear bearing fell out when I removed the cone and what appeared to be washers came out as well. Some of the round bearings were ground off so that one side was flat.

I thought there would be oil or grease in teh pump itself. But as you say I guess that water entered the pump and removed the oil.

I am trying to figure out what would make the seal go bad. Should the drive shaft from the impeller through the pump assembly be repalced as well as all the seals and bearings or can we use the existing shaft?

Thanks for your help so far.

jsp

Comment

Seals and bearings are wearing parts that do not last forever: plain and simple. So ask yourself these questions: Are you the original owner of your ski? When was the last time these seals/bearings were replaced? Do you know? If those seals failed, What's the condition of the other seals like?
          I guess what I am saying is to use your own best judgement. Me: I am a firm believer in Murphy's law. I replaced EVERYTHING. (except the shaft)
          The bearings are sealed- the outside will be stiff to turn if you hold the inner race when you recieve the new ones. They are pre-greased and require no further lubrication. The "washers" that you saw were the bearings seals. You really fried that sucker if the internal ball bearings were worn flat. Make sure that you replace the cones o-ring too. Lubricate it with some vasaline. The rubber just gets old and dry rotted. That is what failed on mine for the back bearing. Also there is a replaceable METAL sleeve that RIDES ON THE SHAFT THAT the seals in front of the impellor ride on, and it, and the seals and bearing were trashed on mine as well. Hope that this helps.... rob
          Last edited by addicted2speed; 07-08-2004, 10:37 PM. Reason: left one thing out

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I ordered all the parts today except the drive shaft.

I have one final question. Do we need to make sure anything is balanced or will simply proper reassembly ensure that everything is aligned correctly?

jsp

Comment

With the amount of damage that you bearing sustained, I suggest that you at least find a flat surface,(like a table) lay the flat part of the shaft on it with the larger portion hanging over the edge and roll it while visually inspecting it much like you would for a pool cue stick. I am fairly sure that this would be sufficient. Mine was siezed after sitting for a year with a blown motor, so I wasn't too critical of the shaft....Rob

Comment

Working...
              X