Buying 1000 Waveraider with SBT reman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying 1000 Waveraider with SBT reman

2 weeks ago I almost bought a 95 Waveraider 1100 with an SBT reman with 7 hours.

The owner told me he would "unwinterize" it so I could comeback and hear it run. In the mean time, I went out looking for new watercraft . I contacted the owner and told him I was no longer interested. Here it is now 2 weeks later (after sticker shock from looking at new PWCs) and I decided the used one with the warranty was the way to go since this is my very first one to own and I'll probably damage it somehow.

Well it turns out that the 7 hour engine ate the front bearing within minutes of running for the first time this year. SBT is sending the current owner a fresh engine. My concern is should I buy this 'ski even though it was a fresh engine and the remainder of the warranty? (about 2 months) I am a little bit concerned since the last rebuild didn't even make it 8 hours. Was this a fluke occurance? I am new to this board/hobby and would like any advice anyone could offer.
    J-me
    05 Bayliner 175
    98 GP 1200 Yamaha factory support hull, Lamey engine, Skat pump

That's always a tough question to answer. I wish I could say something to give you 100% confidence, but honestly all I can tell you is that we do stand behind our warranty, and do go above and beyond. In this particular case I wouldn't be surprised if Julie extended the warranty throught he summer to get some real hours onthe replacement just for good measure.

While it's certainly possible there is a problem on the 1100, it's also possible there was a problem with that engine. It's always difficult to pindown an exact reason for failure when something goes the first time it's fired after storage. There are so many things that could have been done incorrectly in the prior months and prior to storage, that can cause problems inthe spring/summer.

Unfortunately in cases where a customer purchases an engine and for whatever reason never uses it for the first year as in this case - it's not even broken in fully - there isn't a whole lot we can do. It's up to the customer to use the product during the warranty period.

Personally I would not have reservations about the purchase simply based on the part failure, but i would go over the ski and examine it's history. Why was the original engine replaced, what else has broken, etc.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The original engine from what I am told was improperly stored after being partially sunk. The engine was basically left to sit all winter with water in it.
      I know when your engine was installed (by the owner's friends small engine/motor cycle repair shop) the oil injection was done away with so as to use premix.
      J-me
      05 Bayliner 175

Comment

Well I am going to buy it this weekend. I have looked around and SBT seems to have an excellent reputation. I guess I will try to contact Julie to see if she can get me a warranty extension. What is the best way to contact her?
        J-me
        05 Bayliner 175

Comment

Call 877 330 0231
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

That is a good solid ski. You can jump on them and fly but you have to maintain it. All yamaha's are good if properly maintained as are any other skis. Just learn the respect for the motor under you and you will be fine.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
            Texas Team Yamaha<br />#519 Novice <br />Region 5<br /><br /><a href="http://texasteamyamaha.com" target="_blank">Texas Team Yamaha</a>

Comment

I am the proud owner of it now and am quite happy with it so far. I will be in contact with Julie about the warranty extension. So far I an still breaking in the engine with the SBT supplied oil. The only bad thing that I have run into so far is a "shrinking" impeller housing. I ordered one with a rubber wear ring so it won't damage my new "prop".
              J-me
              05 Bayliner 175

Comment

Break in is complete.

The 'Raider runs simply awesome!!!

Also a huge thanks to SBT for extending my (the old owner's) warranty another 3 months so I can get some riding time on this beast.
                J-me
                05 Bayliner 175

Comment

Working...
                X