Novi Jetting plug Chops pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novi Jetting plug Chops pics

Went out today to do some plug chops with the new jetting. Novi 44 130 pilot 125 main 1 turn out on high, Ski was running pretty strong up to about 90% throttle then it got sluggish. Hitting 7200 +, pulled the plugs see pics. The ski felt rich on top and when making hard turns especially to the left it felt like it was loading up. For some reason my RPM are all over the place from 7190- 7250. I think this is due to the hard jetting I did with the FP Spec 2, sometimes the pipe felt hot the others not??? It seems that the main jetting is fine but when I get to where the high speed screw comes in it seems to fall on its face. Rich I guess???? Any help would be great. I am still having a problem with fuel pressure, I went tfrom a 100 to a 120 restrictor jet and my idle pressure is just under 3 psi and WOT about 6 psi. How high do I need to go with the restrictor jet??? is there too high a jet like a 160 to use???
    THanks Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 97GSX; 07-17-2004, 04:03 PM. Reason: add more
    Factory Pipe Spec 2 <br />愛&D Rec Head<br />意ovi 44XR Carburetors<br />FLY Flame Arrestors<br />感rimer Kit/Premix (40/1)<br />愛+D Aquavein Intake <br />Galindo Grips<br />愛+D 85/88 mm Hydro-force Nozzle<br />惹olas XO (16.5/24) Impeller<br />媲each House Sponsons<br />廈ydro-Turf Mats<br />嫂WD Bow Spray Deflector<br />廉armin Etrex GPS (61.5 MPH)

Re: Novi Jetting plug Chops pics

Still looking ro some advise on how to properly read theae plugs, any elp would be great
    Thanks Chris
    Last edited by 97GSX; 07-20-2004, 06:56 PM. Reason: more info
    Factory Pipe Spec 2 <br />愛&D Rec Head<br />意ovi 44XR Carburetors<br />FLY Flame Arrestors<br />感rimer Kit/Premix (40/1)<br />愛+D Aquavein Intake <br />Galindo Grips<br />愛+D 85/88 mm Hydro-force Nozzle<br />惹olas XO (16.5/24) Impeller<br />媲each House Sponsons<br />廈ydro-Turf Mats<br />嫂WD Bow Spray Deflector<br />廉armin Etrex GPS (61.5 MPH)

Comment

Anybody please help.
      Thanks Chris

Comment

Those plugs don't look to rich to me. I think I would try fattening it up some and see what happens. You can always lean it out later if necessary, but you cannot go the other way without replacing pistons.

What is wrong with 3 psi at idle and 6 at wot?
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Hey Bill, I was told that too high pressure at idle and WOT will make it difficult to tune the carbs??? Also which would you recommend hard jetting or using the Water regulator with the FP Spec 2?????
          Thanks Chris

Comment

Do you think 3 lbs and 6 lbs is too much fuel pressure?

Hard jet it if you want to. Unlike with an oem pipe and prop, you have more leeway with the FPP and a lower pitched impellor to try different setups to suit your riding habits.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

I run a Spec 2 with 44 Novis, and I run 3 and 6psi at idle and WOT, respectively...no troubles. Some setups just require more fuel pressure than others.

Those plugs look a tad lean. Go out on your HSS a 1/4 turn, and see if you lose RPMs.

Comment

Curious as to why you think the plugs are lean? Is that cause the top looks like its hot?
                SHOOTER
                800cc huh, hahahaha, better up that anty bud

Comment

Hey Shooter, I have the plugs in front of me now and the whole outer rim is dark brown /black. The electrode is medium brown, The dark brown /black travels down the inside of the threads about the thicknes of 1 1/2 threads. Performance wise the ski is great up to about 90 % throttle then it slowly rises up to its max RPM and stays there maybe a 10-20 RPM change. When I make hard left turns the ski bogs stutters on occcasion, which I thought could be due to being rich. I now turned the HSS out to 1 1/4 and see what I get as far as top RPM. Thanks For the input
                  Chris

Comment

Shooter,
                    Where do you look to see if a plug is rich or lean?

The center porclean is where. Not the outer steel casings.

Those plugs are lean, like on a racing motor with good clean expensive racing fuel. Not 92 octane pump fuel as I assume was running through this motor. Notice how the tip of the porclean is burnt? This motor needs either a colder sparkplug and/or more fuel for any type of prolonged riding or it will surely sieze, especially if the weather changes for the better....

As I am assuming this motor is used for recreational riding and not racing, from what I see in those pictures, it appears to be on the edge of destruction. It may need rejetting, or it may only need to have the screws adjusted out some more. I cannot tell over the internet.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM

Comment

Hey Bill thanks for the imput. I understand it is pretty hard to tell from the pics what the plug really looks like but if you do look at the middle of the porcelin the plug is medium brwon, similar to what the top of the porcelin looks like, is that still too light???? I am 1 out now should I go to 2 turns out and go from there????? When I went from a 120 to 125 main jet I did see an incredible increase in mid to upper throttle performance. Thanks again for your input
                      Later Chris

Comment

Well if you saw that much gain, didn't it tell you something? Keep going richer until the performance drops off. Then you will know that it is rich, and you can lean it down from there. Starting lean and going rich is a sure way to spend time and money replacing pistons.

I don't care what color the porclean is as long as I am seeing what appears to be overheating at the tip of the porclean. That is a sign that the plug is too hot, probably from being too lean..........
                        Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Working...
                        X