95 Sea Doo XP, Starts out of water, wont start in the water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Sea Doo XP, Starts out of water, wont start in the water

I let some friends use my Sea Doo, they use all the fuel including the Reserve. I refilled the tank to about 4.5 gallons, almost full on this model.

Now the gas seems to have air in the gas line or something. It will start and idle fine out of water, with the gas full throttle, it just barely keeps going but will stay running.

If I stop it and try to start it in the water, it is as if, no fuel is getting from the tank to the engine.

Any help is much appreciated. I do remember someone saying there was a recall notice on the gas tank on this model, I believe this one still has the original tank, could that have something to do with this?

Others have suggested cleaning the Fuel Filter and it could not hurt. I am also going to replace spark plug wires.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

-Nigel
    Have a super day!

Re: 95 Sea Doo XP, Starts out of water, wont start in the water

check your compression and make sure there is no damage from running the fuel out at wide open throttle and detonating a piston. If the compression is good, remove the return fuel line from the carb and then blow thru it, this will force fuel to the carb. When you see it come out of the carb where the line connects re-connect the line. See if thios helps.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

There was a recall on that model for the fuel tank. Call a dealer and give him your serial number, they'll be able to tell you if yours needs it. Not every one did.
      Dick Bell
      http://www.hansenskidoo.com

Comment

Update: Still wont start in the water
        Replaced Parts: Battery and Spark Plugs (Fully charged battery)

On Trailer out of Water: Starts up just fine, can floor it, and it revs up and sounds terrific. Plenty of fuel getting to the engine and it purrs super!

In the Water: Wont start, it is as if it is just not getting enough power to turn the engine over. It keeps attempting to turn over but just not enough umpff... to turn it over.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks once again for all the help,
        ~Nigel
        Have a super day!

Comment

check the compression

this will indicate any major problems

Comment

Sounds to me like we have the exact same problem. I've tried everything and can't seem to get it working.

Comment

95 Sea Doo XP, Starts out of water, wont start in the water Compression PROBLEM

Update on Compression: Checked compression by removing the spark plugs and lightly placing them over the hole while cranking the engine.

The front compression is only about 1/5 of the back spark plug hole. Does this indicate some sort of gasket has been blown?

Any recommendations on the next step? Any way to check where the loss of compression is occurring? The engine starts up just fine out of water and sounds brand new. Some how it is just loosing compression on the front cylinder. By the front, I mean the cylinder closest to the steering / front of the sea doo.

Any help is appreciated. It looks as though it is fairly easy to take off the top of the engine, about 8 bolts or so.

The pistons are going up and down just fine, and no grinding or metal sounds.

Thank You,

Nigel
              Have a super day!

Comment

Go to Sears (or any auto parts store) and buy a compression gauge for about $25.00. Always handy to have one when owning any type of 2 stroke engine.

Your compression on each cylinder should be within 15% difference of each other. If more than that, you are due for a top end rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by sah255
                  Your compression on each cylinder should be within 15% difference of each other. If more than that, you are due for a top end rebuild.
                  Accepted difference is 5%.

Comment

if the compression check out ok can it be the starter?

Comment

Originally posted by roberto
                      if the compression check out ok can it be the starter?
                      Doesn't hurt to clean out the carbs.

Comment

Check your oil injector as well. Small possibility you're running way to rich, but that's a 5% possibility there. What do your plugs look like when you pull them? Are they bright and shiny, are they wet...? Could be they're fouled...

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
                          check your compression and make sure there is no damage from running the fuel out at wide open throttle and detonating a piston.

Honestly, have you ever seen a piston detonate because you ran out of fuel? I can see it if you're running lean, but lean and out of fuel are not the same. If you can say that you've seen it, or have known someone that did it, then I'll believe you. But otherwise, no way man.

Comment

Shawn,

When a Sea Doo gets low on fuel in the tank, the remaining fuel gets very areated ( bubbles in the gas lines). This is not a big problem with stock skis, but our racing motors will sieze in a heartbeat under those conditions. We use fuel cell foam in the tank to help allieviate this condition.
                            Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal1
                              Shawn,

When a Sea Doo gets low on fuel in the tank, the remaining fuel gets very areated ( bubbles in the gas lines). This is not a big problem with stock skis, but our racing motors will sieze in a heartbeat under those conditions. We use fuel cell foam in the tank to help allieviate this condition.
                              Interesting. The guy here has a stock ski though, so this isn't likely to have happened. Now that I know this is a possibility however, mind pointing me toward the fuel cell foam?

Comment

Working...
                              X