95 XP starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 XP starting problem

History: Installed a SBT motor last year. Break-in went fine. Over the winter I decided to rebuild the carbs.(after reading threads saying it should be done with new engine) After carb rebuild I could not get it started. Removed the plugs and turned it over - got a face full of gas. Read some threads on similar problem and figured it was carb diaphram problem. Put the old diaphrams back in. Engine started right up and ran great - on the trailer. Put it in the water and it would not start.

Today: Started it on the trailer before putting it in water. I got it to start in the water after holding full throttle and cranking the motor for a long time. It took a little throttle to keep it running at idle. After idling for about 5 minutes ( to clear no wake zone), I gave it about some throttle - jumped out of the water and was accelerating for about 10 seconds then just quit. Tried to start - no luck. It sounded like the battery was almost dead. Towed back to dock. Tried to start again - it turned over great but would not start. Put it back on the trailer - started right up. Is this a carb problem or do I have a bigger problem?

Re: 95 XP starting problem

Do you have a pop-off pressure gauge? Did you change your needle arms and springs?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

No to all three questions. I just changed what came in the SBT rebuild kit.

Comment

Springs and the arms come in the kits, that's why I'm asking. Yes or no?

Comment

Sorry, my mistake - yes I changed the needle arms and springs

Comment

There's your problem. If you still have the old springs and arms, put them back in. Otherwise you need a gauge to see where you're at. Make sure your arms are not bent up at all, they need to be parallel to the carb body.

Comment

Working...
            X