Digging out potting material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digging out potting material

Ok, so I tested the fuel gauge by shorting it, and the gauge is fine. I am now trying to dig out the potting material on the top of the baffle, so I can unscrew the nuts and remove the senor board. When I took the baffle out of the boat, Some of the potting material was already soft. I dug it out, but most of it is still hard and tough to dig out with small screw driver (flat-head).

I tried to think of what might have caused the potting to soften up in the first place. I thought that maybe over time the original clamps were not keeping as good a seal as they once did. So small amounts of gas would leak down the nipples and seat on the potting material, eventually eating away at it. So last night I put a small pool of gas on the material and let it sit that way. I will post my results when I get them.

Those of you that have remove this stuff, how did you do it? What did you use to dig with? Did you use anything to soften up the potting material? Any and all information is appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by skidogg77; 07-23-2004, 08:30 AM.
Working...
X