hot motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot motor

My jet ski has been running hot since my last head gasket replacemant. I took off the exhaust to check for clogged water jackets and found that the gaskets that were used actualy block off the water jackets in some places. Is this correct or did I get a bad set of gaskets installed. The head gasket also limits the amount of water that can pass through the jackets in the head and cylinder. The gasket has very small holes where there are large openings in the cylinder water jackets. Is this normal? If so, can someone tell me why my ski is running so hot? My pisser is working well and the compression is 150 PSI in each cylinder. My buddies ski, same ski just a year newer, runs considerably cooler. You can set you hand on his cylinder walls and head, you can barely touch mine without being scolded. My rev limiter does not cause the engine to cut out however.

Re: hot motor

Yes the head gasket is suppossed to have the restrictions with small through holes. If you have experienced this problem since it was last replaced, and not other mods or repairs were made, you may have installed the head gasket upside down, and backwards, putting the through holes in the wrong places. I am assuming that you used an aftermarket gasket, as the stock kawis have a punchout "up" and "ex" (for exhaust side) in addition to the little holes.... rob
    Attached Files
    Last edited by addicted2speed; 07-24-2004, 08:41 PM. Reason: added picture of stock gasket
    ride it like you stole it

Comment

The Kawasaki head gasket is on correct. Up and ex facing the correct directions. Some of the cooling jackets exist under the gasket but the gasket has no hole for that jacket. The same is true on the exhaust manifold. I have attached a photo of the manifold and one with the gasket on top covering the holes. It covers the holes completely, not just restricing them to smaller holes.
      Attached Files

Comment

The picture on the left is of the gasket, yes? It is definatley supposed to have a small hole in it.See attached pic.... rob
        Attached Files

Comment

what year, make, model and motor is this ski?

Comment

My ski is a 92' 750sx. Are some of the water jackets supposed to be covered by gaskets to restrict water flow? What if I made a hole in all the gaskets to connect each jacket to one another? IS too much water flow through the jackets bad or do they have to have some restriction to create the suction for waterflow. Do you have a photo of the correct head gasket and exhaust gasket for my model of ski?

Comment

I have a 92 750ss, a 94 750ssxi, and a 95 750zxi. The exhaust water jackets are supposed to be closed except for the little hole. The pictures of the head and the exhaust gasket that I sent are the correct ones for your ski. They restrict the water like a thermostat in a car does. Free flow through the engine does not give sufficient time for the engine heat to radiate to the cooling water. Also check the flex joint for oxidation clogs. Also check the coolant suction hose to the jet nozzle. The hose may be getting weak and collapsing under suction. Rob

Comment

Working...
              X