Need advice - engine problems after water ingestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice - engine problems after water ingestion

Ok, I'll try to condense this. I'm new to all of this and have learned a lot (the hard way) over the last 3 weeks so please go easy with the "Here's what you should have done" comments.

My 18 year old son purchased a used '99 Yamaha XL1200 less than a month ago. On a out of state camping trip to a lake, he accidentally left the drain plugs out, tried starting the ski and ingested water into the engine. I didn't know water had been sucked into the engine at the time. Three days went by before I figured out what had happened. Immediately took steps to get water out of the engine. Long story short of it is that we got it running just fine. Ran it several times from 30 minutes to an hour each time.

He took the ski to the beach last week and it ran fine the first couple of days. Third day out, he hit a wave and the ski died. After getting towed in, he got it on the trailer. Got it started but he describes it as a very "loose" sound and has been afraid to restart it.

He is bringing it over to my house later this week and I'm not sure what to check for. I'm preparing for the worst possible scenario of having a fried engine. If I remove the cylinder head, will any obvious damage be visable?

Any advice is appreciated!

Re: Need advice - engine problems after water ingestion

That's why we try to tell people the truth - you leave water in an engine, pull it out - it's done. It doesn't matter if it makes you feel happy when you get it restarted...it's DONE. Unfurtunately you found out first hand WHY we tell people that...hopefully you just have internal damage and haven't poked a nice hole through your case. That means $100-$500 more in repair if you did.

Pull it out, it's done. You need a complete rebuild or new engine.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Administrator

That was the news I was preparing for but hoped I wouldn't hear. Don't you suppose a can of Marvel Mystery Oil or Liquid Tune Up would work just fine?

Ok, I've still got my sense of humor.

How much would a rebuild or replacement engine run thru SBT? How can I get info. on it living out of state?

Also, what is the best source to get a good manual for this ride?

Thanks.

Comment

That engine runs $1499 on exchange, and www.parkeryamaha.com has good prices on OEM manuals.

What info do you need? Read through the rest of the website - click Products below.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X