01 Seadoo XP Engine Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 Seadoo XP Engine Noise

Sort of need to know where/how to start identifying an engine problem. on my 01 Sea-Doo XP. My engine and compartment is spotless. I keep everything flushed well too.

Was skiing yesterday doing some tricks in the intercoastal. Tricks means quick turns, stopping/spinning, don't know all the terms, but a lot of hard throttle for few seconds at a time. After about 5 - 10 minutes of that I cruised for a few miles at top speed on smooth water. Turned around to go other direction, again, ¾ to full top speed. Went through no wake zone, and then returned to top speed full throttle. After a mile or two, out of the blue, I hear an abnormal noise from the engine or somewhere. I slow down to a stop, and the engine goes to idle speed long enough for me to hear all this clanking noise. Then it died on its own. I got that feeling- you know, open water, floating with the tide, no cell, dark in two hours. anyway after going through that agony, I tried to start the engine. It sounded terrible but would start. A lot of rough noise, and with just a little throttle, much harder noise. The noise is metallic but sort of like ringing a bell- a deadened bell, but not a solid hard metal sound. had some tinny sound to it. And another clue may be the very last sound that I hear every time I turn the motor over- a really plain squeak. It doesn't squeak as it is making full revolutions or if it starts, but when it stops- the last little rotation as it is coming to rest. It will start- but dang; the sound scares me. I flushed it as good as I could and started the engine long enough to get some circulation of my salt inhibitor stuff through the flush.

OK. Was in open, what should be clean water as far as shells or weeds. I didn't see anything. The prop and jet house looks fine. I don't have the little MPEG diag thing to read the troubleshooting codes- if that is worth buying let me know. I guess I will start checking the compression next?? Does anyone have any idea where to start other than that?

John

Re: 01 Seadoo XP Engine Noise

From your description, It sounds to me like you broke something inside the motor. No code will give you the answer if you have broken metallic parts in the motor.

Look for a smashed sprakplug gap, Pull the Rave valves and look into the slots for piston damage. Pull the head and look for piston damage or clyinder wall scoring.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks Bill,

Spark plugs look normal, smell normal. Rave valves look normal- both plugs and valves look identical to each other. The valves move smoothly. When I crank w/o plugs, the motor spins and sounds really smooth... compression seems to be normal too... hum. No oil or gas leaking around engine that I can see. Have not removed heads yet.

No air in oil line(s), oil pump works? How to tell? The linkage seems to be adjusted correctly per manual-

How do I tell if cooling system works... i.e., while I was broke down, I started it and looked at the cooling water outlet on the port side. The rpms were really low, and the water was choppy. I didn't see any cooling water coming out, but I can't be certian it was not cause of the water conditions and the low idle. At home, my flush kit had not problem going through. If it had over heated, would it have beeped? Along those same lines, it did not seem to be overly hot when I opened the engine compartment 1 min after it happened.

Still looking around.

John

Comment

I doubt you overheated it or have an oiling problem. When you hear metallic grinding sounds, you are usually grinding up broken metal in the engine ( the description you gave). Broken metal in a motor is from bearings that may be coming apart or a broken piston skirt.

I said to look into the slots for the rave valves for piston damage. As you rotate the motor by hand, observe the pistons through the slots with a flashlight. You will only be able to see one side of the piston and the piston tops, but you may see some sign of damge.
        Pulling the head will give you a great view of the piston tops, first ring and the clyinder walls. The underside of the head will show if any metal parts came through there and got caught between the head and the piston top.
        Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Thanks.

I will take the heads off next.

The sound is not grinding metal. It is, knocking. Could be piston skirt. Could be rod bearing gone. I had a 4cyl toyota that lost a bearing sleeve and had the same sound. The guy actually drove it several days w/o a rod bearing sleeve at the crank! This sound actually sounds similar like that. This doesn't have sleeves right- but real bearings (Im at work and can't refer to manual)? This knock doesn't happen under no load (just cranking with starter) which still could mean bearing play since that same anomly occured the 4 stroke mentioned above.

Anyway, I will keep looking. Working nights for the next little bit, so I will have to look at it when I can.

J

Comment

I am sorry about your situation but I have to be honest with you. If you are hearing metal grinding,or knocking sounds from your engine that are normally not there, You are going to be looking at replacing some parts. I wouldnt keep starting it because if you haveloose metal pieces in the motor and they get wedged between the crank and the cases you can crack the cases and you really dont want to do that. Take the head off and look at the pistons. If they are ok then spin the balancer by hand and listen, you may have a rod/bearing letting go. Its very important that you dont run it anymore until you figure out if there is any damage or it could cost you even more to repair.:(

Comment

Re: 01 Seadoo XP Engine Noise - Update

UpdateThe noise is from the stern side connecting rod crank bearing. Looking at the rod, it appears to have over heated. From the crank end half way up, it is very dry on the surface of the rod, and color of purple-haze. Looks like metal that was heated by a blow torch.

As I disassembled the motor, all cooling ports/jackets look clear and clean. Both pistions and cylinder walls look normal. Oil is present on the skirt edge ends or any low point depending how I leave the motor setting on the bench for an hour or so. I'm assuming by the signs of oil, maybe the oiling system is ok?

This is my first ski, and third summer with it. I was wondering if these motors are fully capable of sustaining full throtle or full cruise speed for 15 minutes or longer w/o out concerns of overheating or oiling issues. I.e., if I'm playing around or jumping waves, it has plenty of time to deal with quick hits of heat or light oiling issues. But at a sustained cruise speed, is there any reason the rod bearing overheated given everything was working. My guess is that the motor should be capable of crusing for a few miles w/o concern as long as tolerances were in spec, oiling is working, and all other systems. What about carbeurator settings? If one side is different than the other some way. FYI, i'm using the OEM oil system, not premix. How do you check the calibration or whatever you want to call it, of the oil injection system.

Last question. What should I do as far as repair? I think I read that to perform this repair, that you should replace crank and rods as an assembly? Is that true, or is it accetable to replace the one rod and bearings. If it is to replace as an assembly, then should I just go ahead and buy a new short block from SBT and take balancing and all other variables out of the equation for success?

I'm leaning really strong toward a new shortblock.

Thanks!

Comment

Cranks are only replaceable as a whole unit unless you happen to be a crank rebuilder.

You won't know what happened until you pull the engine out and tear it down for inspection. Pics will help us give you better advice once you get it torn down. Untill then all we can do is guess, and there's no point.

That type of operation is normal, if you have a problem like a bad oil pump, clogged carb, etc. - it wouldn't matter what type of riding you were doing, it'll fail.
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks.

I don't mind tearing it down further, but I know I'm not the guy to rebuild it. If it was an old four stroke motor of some kind maybe. I'd rather spend a bit more, and swap it out with a new/rebuilt one from a company with a good history, vs. paying a lot for the dealer or someone I don't know to rebuild it.

When I do get a new motor, I will go premix too.

How can I tell if my current oil pump is working the same on both sides? Lines appear to be good or look the same anyway.

Since nothing is cracked or split regarding the block, there really is no reason to dissassemble the motor any further than outlined in your guide for trade in- is there? I'm interested in what is the final problem and hopefully a limited amout of root causes... do you offer that diagnosis as a part of a purchase if I am interested?

Thanks for your feedback.

John

Comment

I Have Seen This Model Ski With Similar Problems Several Times This Year. No Apparent Reason For Rod Bearing Failure? I Had One 951 With The Rod Bearing Actually Melted On The Crank Journal.in Your Case I Would Recommend Purchasing An Sbt Motor And Going With An Oil Pump Block Off And Pre Mixing. I Have Installed Many Sbt Motors Over The Yrs And Never Had A Bad Experiance With Them. You Can Do It Yourself If You Have A Basic Understanding Of What You Are Doing. They Supply Detailed Instructions With Every Motor Shipped.
                    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Thanks.

Yeah, I removed the motor w/o any trouble, and aside from having presion gauges and stuff to rebuid and set up engines, I should be able to get it back in a day. They have a couple fasteners that are hard to get too, but with patience, no problem. So, I will proceed to order the new motor from SBT and start removing all the parts that the SBT guide tells me to, for the return.

As far as oil, I will feel a lot more comfortable now vs wondering if it is oiling OK or not.

Has anyone ever heard of opti-2 2 cycle oil? I use it on small 2 cycle motors and it has worked good in everthing I have used it in. Don't scream at me, I'm just asking if anyone has heard of it and their experiances with it. Until the warranty is expired on a new/replaced motor, I wouldn't do anything outside of their guidlines. And I realize these motors are not weed-eaters :p so, it is not apples to apples. The reason I got opti-2 (used to just be called Optimal) was a small engine shop told me about it, and regardless what engine you use it in, you always mix one gallon to 1.8 oz. (that's one pouch of their product). So, for years now I have been throwing away the recommendations that come with new trimmers, edgers, or chainsaws, and use this mix. They smoke less, the motors outside have less oil residue on them (from exhaust I guess), the inside stays cleaner, and they all start eaiser. Just wondering.

Thanks for everyone's advice and observations. Hope to be back in the water in two weeks!

J

Comment

DO NOT use that type oil in your engine unless you like to replace them very often! Your engine requires Sea-Doo regular oil.
                        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                        X