Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1999 Kawasaki 1100 STX w/ 20 hours - blown engine???!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Kawasaki 1100 STX w/ 20 hours - blown engine???!!!

Ya, I have a 1999 Kawasaki 1100 STX with ONLY 20 HOURS on the factory engine. Of course, ITs in the shop AGAIN and The mechanic tells me the engine is blown due to corrosion which led to it overheating. Tells me the water jackets are severely corroded. Also, when he had the head pulled, I personally checked out the pistons and cylinders myself and found minimal scaring in all of the cylinders. The center piston was completely movable from left to right and front to back while still in the cylinder with two fingers. The engine will barely crank two revolutions with the head removed. With the head on, all you get is a click at the push of the start button. Jet ski was carefully flushed each and every time after use. Don't know what truely happened. The jet ski was just in the same shop a month before this occurance and had the ENTIRE jet pump replaced and the starter. This situation is very odd and extremely unexpected especially after only twenty hours. What is Kawasaki making these days!!!???

Re: 1999 Kawasaki 1100 STX w/ 20 hours - blown engine???!!!

Get a second opinion and maybe a new mechanic depending on it.
    ride it like you stole it

Comment

20 hours on a 5 year old machine? Most likely died from improper storage, or lack of lubrication, or water ingestion.

Comment

Sorry about your troubles but I cannot say I am surprised.

I gotta agree with lastman on this. When you look at any boat or jet ski try not to get too excited over very low use hours. Even a properly stored machine will develope rust and corosion over a long period of time. Also, without normal use and good routine maintaince lots of rubber and plastic parts will dry out and deteriorate. If I had a choice between a five year old skis, one with 20 hours and a well maintained ski with 120 hours I would probably go woith the 120 hour one. In MHO, better used and cared for than sitting neglected and unused.
        Dave
        Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

I have own a JetSki ever since the first wave runners came out I was told to Start the engine at least once a week for 30sec when not riding it weekly ,always flush the engine and fog it, leave the seat off to stop condensation, grease throtal cable & stearing , give the punp a good flush & use the proper anty corrosion spray on the motor :) After owning 8 ski's not 1 engine fail:beer

Comment

Working...
          X