97 challenger (787) carb settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 challenger (787) carb settings

While I'm waiting for my carb rebuild kits to come in I'm going to see if adjusting has any effect on the issue that I'm seeing. I've read about 40 topics on it but still not sure about a couple of things.

When adjusting the low speed setting, I start with the pto carb, then move to the mag carb. I'm going to back out each screw 1 turn then fire up the engine (service manual says 1 turn, boards say 1 1/4). Once the pto is adjusted what do I do with the mag low setting, is this set to match the pto setting?

Should the idle be in the ballpark before doing the low setting?

There's some conflict on the high, some sources say 0 turns for both, some say 1/4 for pto and 0 for mag.

Is it safe to spray some carb cleaner in the carbs while the engine is at idle?

When in neutral and go to wot, should the engine be nice and smooth or sputtering and sounding crappy?

Thanks,

Hoog

Re: 97 challenger (787) carb settings

Read the answers to you questions below,

When adjusting the low speed setting, I start with the pto carb, then move to the mag carb. I'm going to back out each screw 1 turn then fire up the engine (service manual says 1 turn, boards say 1 1/4). Once the pto is adjusted what do I do with the mag low setting, is this set to match the pto setting?

No, open both the same. If the oem SD manual says 1 turn out from closed, then set both at 1 turn out from closed. You cannot tune one carb at a time on a two carbbed boat. Set the idle to 3000 out of the water and 1500 rpm in the water ( or close to that so it idles smooth and not too fast).

Should the idle be in the ballpark before doing the low setting?

Yes.

There's some conflict on the high, some sources say 0 turns for both, some say 1/4 for pto and 0 for mag.

If you have the manual, see where it says to put them.

Is it safe to spray some carb cleaner in the carbs while the engine is at idle?

That is NEVER SAFE.

When in neutral and go to wot, should the engine be nice and smooth or sputtering and sounding crappy?

No, it should not sputter and sound crappy, ever.

Thanks,

Hoog[/QUOTE]
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Re: 97 challenger (787) carb settings

Hi Bill thanks for the comments. I never made it to the carb settings tonight, that'll be tomorrow's chore. Tonight I cleaned the rave valves, they were filthy,lot's of carbon build up. I believed the dealer when they told me they cleaned them so always took it out of the equation.

I only had some carb cleaner and 220 grit sandpaper. Sanded off as much carbon as possible and gave them a little soak in some carb cleaner. Put it all back to together and I couldn't believe the difference. Engine started right up, throttle was very responsive, no stumbling at 3k rpms, throttle for the most part moved easily and the engine was responsive. Engine even sounded different, much moire fluid, like it wasn't struggling at all. Had a couple of brief moments where there was no response but not nearly as bad as before. I can tell that the dealer was definately messing with the carbs to compensate when they found that the boat was running so bad. I can smell gas now when idling and think that they set the carbs very rich to compensate. I'll post tomorrow and let everyone know the results after I adjust the carbs.

Thanks again for the help.

Hoog

Comment

Working...
      X