97 XP Carb settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 XP Carb settings

Newbie here! I have a 97 xp completly stock (around 70 hours) and my carb was cleaned by a jetski shop. It ran pretty good but it had a bog to it when you floor it. Infact it always had a bog too it since I got it used. I followed the carb settings and reading the spark plugs for correct mixture in the tech section. I turned the lows 2 and a 1/2 turns out and the highs are about 1 turn out for now. I put new plugs in it and drove it at 3,000 rpms for almost 15 min and the plugs still appear to be lean. the porcelin looks very dark but the rim looks very clean with about a 1/4 of it has black oil on it that you can just wipe off. Is this what i'm looking for? When I'm driving at 3,000 rpm I can smell the exhaust and it appears to be rich. I also got on it just for a couple seconds to check out the throttle response and it responded better than it ever did. I was amazed! Should I turn it 1/2 more in and leave it there? I don't want to melt any pistons. Also before I did any of this my ski was going around 50mph @6,500 rpm and I turned the lows 1/4 in to see what would happen and all of a sudden it's almost hitting 7,000rpm @ 56mph on the dreamometer. I let off immediatly after that because I'm not sure if i leaned it out too much. What mph and rpm I'm looking for on these 97 xp's? Should I put the lows @ 2 turns out to be on the safe side? I forgot to mention I removed the air cleaner box and the top part of the carb to get to the lows to adjust them and drive it like that for tuning. I was'nt sure if removing that affects the mixture.

Thanks
    George
    Last edited by gnxv6; 08-06-2004, 07:56 PM.

Re: 97 XP Carb settings

Screw the highs back in and check the operation of the accelerator pump.

Comment

Thanks I'll check that. I also forgot to mention I tried the stock settings and went for a very short run and At 1 and 1/2 out on the lows and seated the highs and it ran incredible! Like it was supposed to. No bog or anything and alot more power than it ever had. The owner before me had this thing pig rich and the jet ski place had it kept rich also. maybe I need more time on the plugs for them to change color. would it be ok to go for half throttle runs for a while and check the plugs from there?

Comment

Get your accellerator pump working if it doesn't work now. Set your low speed jets to 1.75 turns out plus or minus 1/8th turn ( until it accellerates correctly with 1500 rpm idle speed in the water. Set the highs at zero to 1/8th turn out. Put your air filter back together so it will not run too lean ( yes it can run lean with it off). Go out and floor it and ride it like you stole it. It will not run too lean with those settings. It takes awhile to read the plugs, to get the right color. Sounds like you expect them to get all darkened, when in reality, A SD runs best with lighter shaded plugs.
        Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Thanks Bill! How do i know my accelerator pump is working correctly? I'm new at this and I have'nt noticed anything but the rich bogging problem, and top speed of only 50 mph, but now it seems like it's completly gone and this thing wants to scream! I was just afraid to keep it floored for too long I never had it running this good before and I don't really know how fast this ski is supposed to go. My old plugs that the jetski shop put in after the carb clean looked too rich with black crud all the way around the rim. Those plugs probably had about 5 hard hours on them. From the way it's running now I think everything is ok.

Thanks
          George

Comment

My guess is that your accellerator pump is working fine, or it would either just die or almost die when you give it throttle from an idle. You would definetly know if it was not working.
            Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Nope not even close to dying. just the bogging problem. I'm going to adjust the lows and highs like you said and let her rip! And keep checking the plugs:D

Thanks a bunch Bill!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal1
                My guess is that your accellerator pump is working fine, or it would either just die or almost die when you give it throttle from an idle. You would definetly know if it was not working.
                HI BILL I JUST REBUILT MY 1997 SEADOO XP 787/800 CARBS THE SKI STARTED RITE UP BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS GETTING TO MUSH AIR IS THERE A WAY TO AJUST THIS PROBLEM? I HAVE MY HI SPEED AT 1/2 TURN OUT AND MY LOW SPEED AT 1 1/2 TURNS OUT ?

Comment

Why do you have the high speed adjusters 1/2 turn out when oem spec is closed? Do you have aftermarket filters on the carbs?
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

the carb s are all oem parts in them and ill put them back in as the spec,s say on hi speed at 0 and low speed at 1 3/4 out right?

Comment

1.75 turns out "IF" that is where it works the best. That is why they always say plus or minus .25 turns.........
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM
                      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Ok so the specs for the carbs are low 1.75 an High is 0. This is for both carbs correct? The pto carb an the magneto carb correct??
                        Thanks Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X