94 XP - Strange noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 XP - Strange noise

I recently replaced the shaft and PTO. The first time out after about an hour of riding I heard a high pitched noise and felt a decrease in thrust. Sort of felt like a slipping transmission. I was making hard turns when I heard it. I stopped the ski and checked inside and underneath for blockage. Found nothing. I started the ski and it continued the same noise with little thrust. I shut if off again and was preparing to tow it. Curiosity took over and I restarted it again and it ran fine. Actually ran great and no more noise for the rest of the weekend. Yesterday I was doing some more hard turns and I heard the same noise and felt the same loss of thrust for about 3 seconds. It continued to run okay the rest of the day. The only thing in common on both occurrences was that the grate was partially out of the water while turning and the ski was at WOT. Could the ski have injested some debris and chewed it up? Would sudden loss of water to the intake cause the noise? The only thing that hasn't been thoroughly gone over on the ski is the pump. Would a worn wear ring cause this? :(
    skimanic@wolf-ridge.net
    "94 XP"
    Wolf-Ridge.Net

Re: 94 XP - Strange noise

[QUOTE= The only thing in common on both occurrences was that the grate was partially out of the water while turning and the ski was at WOT.

Would sudden loss of water to the intake cause the noise?

BINGO !
    Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Bill O'Neal1][QUOTE= The only thing in common on both occurrences was that the grate was partially out of the water while turning and the ski was at WOT.

Would sudden loss of water to the intake cause the noise?

BINGO ![/QUOTE]
      Yeah, when I turn mine hard on WOT and I managed to hydroplane a 360, it makes the *worst* squeal. Makes you think you're going to blow something up. But mine still runs, so I still do it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm just a little cautious since the shaft and PTO repairs. The sound is similiar to when they went out. I've been checking the motor mounts and greasing regularly since then. :)
        skimanic@wolf-ridge.net
        "94 XP"
        Wolf-Ridge.Net

Comment

Working...
        X