Breaking in a new engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking in a new engine

I bought a new Yamaha XLT1200. The Manual said you have to use a full tank of gas (approximately 10 hours) to break in engine before going full throttle. At the dealership, I asked a Yamaha certified mechanic and a sales person how many hours I need to be gentle with new engine before I can go wild and both of them said 2 hours is enough. Who is right?

Re: Breaking in a new engine

If that a 2stroke go with the manual. If that a 4 stroke go what they says.

Comment

Killer, it's a 2 stroke.

Why would you trust a sales person and shop tech over the manufacturer? Follow the manual or the break-in instructions we have in the Tech Articles section.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Are those two techs going to warrenty the ski for you when you have exessive blow by because the rings never seated?

Comment

Definitely follow the break-in instructions on this website or from the manufacturer. In fact, some owners break in their new engines by allowing them to cool down for 4 or 5 hours between sessions - it's up to you.

Just remember, you get one chance to do it right - and only your engine depends on it...
          "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

Working...
          X