Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SBT Engine leaking oil into the Cylinders

Got my Warranty Replacement engine put in back in Feb,
    This is a 657x being out in a 94 SeaDoo GTX.
    I Had some Huge Squish Measurement problems with the engine. The ski would do 10 or 15MPH at WOT.
    After emailing with you several times about the squish being way bigger than what I thought it should have, you said it was "within specs".
    So I took it to the local Dealer and they had to cut the squish down and then put the engine back together. Problem solved, it ran great for 4 months and goes 42 MPH GPS, which is what the old engine did.
    Now this week I went to start it, the engine will not turn over, the cylinders are filling with oil.
    Not sure which it is, but I don't know what could be causing this. When I called my dealer, he said it was most likely a bad Crank seal. I took the spark plugs out and turned it over, the oil came shooting out. After that it stated with a new set of plugs in there, but oil is coming out the back of the ski where the exhaust comes out. The ski is smoking like a BoyScout Campfire.
    Let me know if you can help, having some problems with this engine it seems
    365 days a year sunny in SW Fla.
    275 hours on my STX-12F

Please call in to Julie the Warranty Manager to discuss warranty matters, however if you have removed the head and had it milled the warranty is void, as you know.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

OK,
      I guess going 10-15 MPH for 6 months wasn't the price I wanted to pay when I got a lemon engine. I still run 87 Octane in the ski, and it runs very well, the only reason the head was removed was to get the ski to plane out and run faster than I could swim.
      This is the second SBT Engine that I had to pay to have installed on this ski, both failed internally. This one is filling up with oil internally, bad seal somewhere I guess.
      Oh well, live and learn.
      365 days a year sunny in SW Fla.
      275 hours on my STX-12F

Comment

The seal may or may not be bad on it's own, and may or may not be the fault of SBT...it may have been caused by something or someone else, I can't say. Either way, it would have been covered if the engine warranty was not purposely voided by disassembly and alteration of the head.

There is an acceptable range for the squish clearance, and if yours was in spec, you most likely had some other issue preventing proper performance.

We have a 1 year NO-FAULT warranty, and it can ONLY be voided one way. By disassembly and/or alteration of the assembled block.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

It could be a bad crank seal, or it could be your carbs. I just went through this with my 951. A bad needle and seat, stayed open, filled up with fuel/oil, a bunch of it was coming out the back of the exhaust.
          You may want to check your carbs.
          Also, if you stick another motor in your ski and it still does 10 to 15 mph at wot, then there is a different problem as tech support stated.
          Why would you ride it for 6 months at those speeds? Sorry man, just doesn't make sense, I think you have a carb related problem. Take carbs off, clean them out and do a rebuild on them. I think that may be your problem, but I am just a rookie.
          later, good luck too, sorry to hear about your mishap, hope it gets fixed,
          96xper.

Comment

Most likely it is a bad rotary valve seal. We have just had 2 engines with the same problem. One was the internal crank seals were bad and the other was the rotary valve seal was bad . When the RV seal is bad the oil will run out the seal and thru the intake openings into the engine filling both cylinders. You can check this by a pressure check or vacumn test. either way they should hold 9 lbs of pressure minimum. :D

Comment

Working...
            X