Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1997 GP1200 Yamaha- What do you guys think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1997 GP1200 Yamaha- What do you guys think?

Yes, just into first production they sent dealers hull reinforcement kits, with thicker rails and epoxy. It stopped the major cracking problems. I have one of those hulls, and it's got 200 HARD wave jumping hours. Minor spider cracks, but they have been there from the first 20 hours, 7 years ago.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Well I checked my Hull # and it is 2993 so I am under 5000 and I guess I am in the problem range for these hulls. IT is a 97. I looked but do nto nessassaraly see any cracks near the mounts. IT is a bit dirty down there so until I clean it and look more close I will nto know.

How can I tell if the fix was ever done to the craft from the dealership? I purchased thes off a guy who owned then as the 2ned owner. So he will not know but is there a way to tell if the fix was done?

Also what can I do to prevent cracks from developing or gettign worse if thy already exist?

Can I take this to a dealer and have them install the fix for free???

Comment

See if you have extra plastic rails under the motor mounts, and light brown epoxy all around things.

No dealers are not fixing them any more, nor are the kits available. IF your ski has over 100 hours and hasn't cracked apart by now you are fine.

Comment

I cleaned up the area around the mounts and there does not appear to be a fix kit on the ski. There is no extra epoxy or extra mounts or tabs or anything.

I also noticed that aroudn the mounts there are spider cracks. There is also another screw hole nexet to the screw holes beign used for the motor mounts ( I assume maybe it is the other location for the smaller engine that used to be up in the same hull not sure) but around this hole there is a larger crack on both sides.

I did not get to see every angle cause I coudl not get my head or hand down in there. But I am concerned cause I do nto want this ski to break or fall apart. I expecially do nto want it to have a bad break while riding and have it send me over the handlebars or somehting.

If they don't offer the fix anymore then what will they offer? How can they simply not fix a problem that a ski might have. Are they not liable for injury and what not if you get hurt cause the hull breaks while riding??? I jsut don't understand?

Comment

Come on what do I do now guys? I need more help here. Read my last post.

Comment

As I said - it's an old problem, there are no fix kits, and the dealers aren't covering anytthing officially anymore. How many hours do you have on it?

Comment

My advice is to write a nice letter to Yamaha and tell them your concerns. Tell them that you have one of the problem hulls and it appears that it was never repaired. Ask them if they will please provide a fix. If they do, you're good to go.

If they don't, you need to decide whether or not you're willing to assume the risk of injury (if the hull breaks), and keep riding or not. If Yamaha refuses to fix the hull, you can always (as a last resort) file suit to have them fix it or pay for your ski. However, litigation is very expensive and they will probably say that if the ski has over 100 hours on it and the hull hasn't broken yet, it doesn't need to be repaired.

Good luck.
                Last edited by uncle-buck; 08-31-2004, 04:09 PM.
                "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

I guess callign is the best thing to try first. I have to get my numbers on paper and call so I can tell them my ski number and al lthat good stuff. I assume they will give me the run around and all. I am nto sure how many hours the ski has. I have only used it for abotu 10-15 hours myself but it might have like 180 hours on it or something.

I am going to threathen them with the simple fact that if I was to get injured from a hull failure then I would have to file a lawsuit. That is just a fact. IF they put out a bad hull then they should fix it or reimburse me for it. Either way if they let it go and somehting bad happens they need to be held responsiable.

What are the numbers and e-mail address for the people at Yamaha that I need to contact?

Comment

anybody?

Comment

Ask your Dealer.

Comment

I do not have a dealer. I purchased this off a guy in Jersey and I have had no need for a dealer as of yet.

Comment

FOund out this weekend that my ski only has 80 hours of use on it.

So now what should I do?

Comment

Kev-

The shims help align the engine to the drive shaft damper. They essentially help prevent vibration by aligning the engine properly.

For your hull scratches, I would recommend a keel shield. Available at Overtons. While somewhat costly, I purchased one and install was easy. It just sticks to the bottom of the hull and you trim it to length. I also trimmed it to fit the chines of my hull. It is about 4 or 5 inches wide. I installed it because the previous owner had a jet dock....which can murder a hull's paint job. For me it covered the damage and prevents more.

Comment

Shims? How hard is that to install and how costly to get a deler to do it?

I think a delear should do it for free if the hull was recalled or had a fix kit out for it.

I am concearned cause at 80 hours I have spider cracks in there.

Does the keen/keel shield affect preformance and speed?

Comment

I think you need to sell the ski. This problem is going to drive you crazy.

I doubt threating Yamaha with a lawsuit is going to make them work on a 97' ski under warranty.

If you want to sue someone you should be after the original owner for not haveing the repairs done when they were offered and selling a ski with a known defect. But you would have to prove it in a court room.$$$

With all that said why not just get the ski repaired yourself? Does anyone have the information on what needs to be done to make the hull sound?
                                If so you could spend a little on the repairs and not have to worry about it giveing you any future hull problems. Plus I doubt the ski cost very much at todays prices on a seven year old ski.
                                Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
                                X