Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1997 GP1200 Yamaha- What do you guys think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1997 GP1200 Yamaha- What do you guys think?

I totally agree with Dank!! It sounds to me like you will never trust this ski even if the hull kit was added. Sell it now before you go postal!!!

I have both '97 and '98GP's. Neither has had the hull kit added. The '97 is now pushing 200hrs without any cracking. From the little research I've done on this topic, most of the hull cracks came from mega wave jumping in the ocean or from guys that had heavily modded their engines.

Comment

jasno...where are you from in PA?

I got a sweet deal on a 98 GP if you are interested.
      J-me
      05 Bayliner 175
      98 GP 1200 Yamaha factory support hull, Lamey engine, Skat pump

Comment

Well I live in King of Prussia PA but I would be very interested in your 98 GP. What are you looking to get for it? How many hours does it have? Did if get the hull reinforcment kit and does any cracking exist.

See guys I would liek to get a new ski and I would liek to not have to worry about my breakign apart. But the issue is money. I would have to sell my 97 and try to get some money for it but I would have to find somebody like me who will not look for cracks and know abotu all the issues till later on after they buy it.

I hate to do that but it was done to me. I jsut don't want a ski that ends up failing at WOT.

I have 80 hours and I have spider cracks. How do I knwo when the cracks will become a real issue or threat? Might I jsut keep goign with it and be fine? Can I jump some waves???

Comment

Well I spent abuot 3200 on the ski. I think that is a lot but compared to new it is not that much. I am not rich and I do not have money to waste so I was lookign for a good deal on a ski that would be fun. I just never found out about the darn hull issue until it was already purcahsed.

What woudl I need to have done to the ski to fix it or rienforce it? What would the cost be?

I need some advice and assistance from your guys.

Comment

Why in the world would anyone on this board want to help you further?

You've just told us that you're dishonest, and that you now think it's OK to sell your current ski without disclosing the hull cracks to prospective buyers.

In a previous post, I suggested that you write a nice letter to Yamaha explaining your predicament and asking for assistance. I also said that if Yamaha doesn't agree to fix the hull, you would have to make a decision to keep riding or not and possibly seek a legal remedy. Another poster suggested fixing the hull yourself.

You seem to feel that you will get better results by calling Yamaha and threatening them. And if that doesn't work, you're going to foist the ski off on some unsuspecting buyer without disclosing the ski's defects. Where'd you acquire those high moral standards and values?
            "Helping you make smart choices about your money - so you can live a better life."

Comment

In some states, selling a vehicle with any known defects is a crime. It can also open the door to a HUGE lawsuit if you knew about the problem and did not inform the buyer. Disclosure is a real biotch. It was mentioned that the hull is 2 inches thick. It was also mentioned that if the hull has that many hours on it, there is probably no reason to worry about it. Personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

If the hull is going to give you that many worries, you should sell it, but be honest with your potential buyer. The last thing you are going to want is him/her coming back to you with a civil court summons.

Buyer Beware is a very, very true phrase. You may have done your homework on the ski before you bought it, but you obviously skipped a few pages. Back to buyer beware.

Sometimes people make poor decisions on what they buy, and in this case you may have done that. I'm not attacking you or trying to insult you, but I did the same thing. I saw what I thought was a good deal and I was blinded by the dollar signs. I paid close to two thousand dollars less for my ski than other people were and I am now paying for it by having to put in 2 new stators and a new motor.

You and I may have made bad purchasing decisions, or we may have not, but it all comes down to what you plan to do about it. I am fixing my ski and I am going to ride the hell out of it three times over. You can sell yours, worry about yours, or just ride yours. The choice is yours.

Comment

"It was mentioned that the hull is 2 inches thick. It was also mentioned that if the hull has that many hours on it, there is probably no reason to worry about it. Personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it."

I agree. I put 150 hours on an early '97. Had no problems with the hull.
                Just go ride it. If the hull does fail its not going to disentragrate like a
                hydro-plane crashing at 200 mph.

Comment

I am not disshonest I am jsut real my friend. Look here Uncle-Buck. The fact is that I purcahsed thsi ski and I was never told anyhting about it having any defects. Now did the seller know about the hull problems? I have no idea maybe he did and maybe he did not. But just because I am more into it and I looked up facts about the ski does nto mean I am going to go and tell every prospective buyer about its problems. IF they ask I will not lie but I will not offer information if it is not asked for.

Why is it my leagle responsiability to tell people abotu the problem when I myself was never told about it. That is jsut bull@$#$. In life there are peopel who get trampled upon and there there are those who do the trampling. I am not goign to let myself be trampled. See I am not dishounest nor am I a bad person. But I also will not sit back and let what happens happen without saying my say.

I would liek to fix the ski. I guess I can call or write to Yamaha but nobody ever gave me the number or the writing address to contact them at. I have no idea how to do it. I will e-mail, call or write them. I will ask nice at first and then drop the fact that if there is a fault and they do not fix it I will hold them liable. At the same time I would liek to start to fix the hull myself. I do not have the dollars to take it to a porfesional and have it done but I would be willign to try fixing it myself. I jsut need explanations on how to do that from people on the board. I am stil lwaiting ffor them.

Comment

Why don't you go to Yamaha's website and look for contact information yourself ?

And while you are surfing look up "ethics" you need some information on that also.

Comment

Guys I have ethics. Look all I am tryign to say is if you want to talk about ethics and talk abotu people seelign things that have defects then you should really be taking to the person who sold this to me.

DO you want his number??

Comment

Just because you feel you were burned does not give you the right to go and burn someone else.
                        Looks to me like you are reacting to something that's not even a problem.
                        If you are seeing small cracks that have been there for years and are not getting any bigger whats the problem.
                        You dont see them from outside the boat so they are not even cosmetic.
                        The 97 is a great ride modify it a little and tear up some newer boats then you will feel good about your GP.
                        SCOTT...

Comment

Originally posted by ScottD
                          Looks to me like you are reacting to something that's not even a problem. If you are seeing small cracks that have been there for years and are not getting any bigger whats the problem. SCOTT...
                          EXACTLY
                          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Guys it seems ot me it is the people who modified their 97's that had the most problems with the hull breakign and cracking. So that might now be the best of ideas.

The first few times I took that puppy out it hit 65 on the dreamometer. And that was with two people. Now for some reason I can nto even hit 60 only 59MPH while my buddy on a 99' is gettign up to 67. I have no idea. I am guessing the sponsons have a little to do with it but other than that I have no idea. Do you guys?

Comment

Oh and I do love to ride the thing. Only problem I have now is the fact that it eats gas like it is goign out of style. It almost makes me want to sell it for as much as possiable and save money to buy a 4 stroke from Honda or Yamaha.

Comment

Mods have nothing to do with the hull issues they had.

If you have lost speed, it could be many things. Unless you have an accurate RPM reading before and after you think you lost speed, you don't know if it's an engine or pump problem though. A stock '97 will be slightly slower than a stock '99.
                                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                                X