Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1997 GP1200 Yamaha- What do you guys think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1997 GP1200 Yamaha- What do you guys think?

If you are saying that you lost speed and that you are consuming more fuel.I would guess that you are running too rich.Or possibly your needle valves are not seating at the right time,or leaking.But as tech said,it could be a number of things.If you are getting full rpm,look at the pump.If you are not getting full rpm,then what I noted above is a possibility.

As far as your hull issues.From what I have read in this rather lengthy thread,it seems your are beating a dead horse going after Yamaha.I would look at making repairs yourself if you feel there is repair work needed.If I were you and wanted to strengthen my hull,I would lay fiberglass and matting over a good percentage of the hull(interior),making sure to get good adhesion to the existing finish.This is rather simple to do,but will require removing items from inside the hull.So it will be alot of work,but I am sure the fix from yamaha was alot of work also.Just make sure you really rough up the areas you will be laying glass over,so that you get good penetration and adhesion.And leave no air under or in the matting.
    Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

So what woudl I have to remove? You could not do a pour type method to do this???

I see no big cracks in the hull and nothign from the outside yet. However the motor mounts show cracks in the fiberglass. So how would I go about fixign that or makign that stronger.

As for the top speed. Well it has been running at a max readign of 58-59 consistently now. IT was only the first time I took it out after I purchased it that it ran like 65 but was consistantly showing 61 or so on the read out. I am not sure what the top RPM is for a 1200 GP 97'. If you know let me knwo and I will check it out next time. It might be the throttle cable needs to be adjusted and I am just not gettign enough pull on it I have no idea really. It does not bother me much jsut somethign I noticed.

When I do race my buddy on his 99' he goes a little faster but it is not by much. He will gain on my and pass but it does nto happen quicly. SO I am guessign there is also a error between his MPH guage and my MPH guage. Probably his is fast and mine might be a little more realistic. There is no way he is going 6-8MPH faster than me. If he was he would pass me a lot faster.

Comment

Oh by the way what do you guys think about the new 4-stroke skis? Are they worth it? And what do you think is the best when it comes to 4-stroke (Honda, Seadoo, Yamaha)

Comment

Originally posted by jasno999
          So what woudl I have to remove? You could not do a pour type method to do this???
          Anything that is in the way...IE:Motor,mounts,fuel tank,waterbox,etc,etc.Just be careful not to build up the area where the motor mounts mount.This will throw off your alignment at the coupling.You could maybe get away with one layer of resin/matting under the mount areas.The will vary from ski to ski.

As for the pour method...ummm,NO.The strength is in the matting,and the adhesion and cure is in the resin.If you are that worried about the strength of the hull,this is really the only way to go at this point.

I myself would not be worried at all if it were only minor surface cracks.Just ride it and dont worry about it...Then this winter,you have a project to work on.Im almost sure it will make it that long.

4-strokes....dont know nothing about them and dont want to.

next question ??? LoL

Comment

If the ski is running too rich how can I fix that???

And what are the needle valves and if they are not sittign right what an I do?

Comment

Take a browse through the technical article and videos on carbs and pop-off pressure.You really need to have a little bit of understanding of what they do before you go adjusting things.

Then you can search the forums to find answers to just about any question you may have regarding carb settings.Trust me,its probably been covered quite a few times already.If not,start a new thread,with a new question.

Good luck...

Comment

That is why I am asking here. I am not a good searcher and I can never find what I am lookign for. IT would be eaiser if you guys just explained it all in this thread.

Comment

It has ALREADY been explained in the pop-off pressure tech article (read it) and shown in the carb rebuilding videos (watch them).

We aren't going to spend time re-writing what is already done.
                  SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                  We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                  Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Ok cool where can I find that stuff?

Comment

Working...
                    X