96xp Electrical Problem - Ele Mod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96xp Electrical Problem - Ele Mod...

The output from the electronic module that drives the starter solenoid on my 96xp is damaged such that it is always at 12 volts. The result is that the starter solenoid is always engaged. After some investigation I have found that there are two types of solenoids for sea doo jets. The one currently listed for the 96xp is black and has an internal diode around the coil. Assuming that the diode is to prevent the typical mutual induction, reverse polarity voltage spike that occurs when power is removed from a coil, I believe that my electronic module's solenoid output driver (probably a transister/scr) was damaged by the solenoid that was in the ski when I bought it (used). It is brown and I suspect that it does not have the flyback diode like the new black one does. I am wondering if anyone has heard of a recall or technical service bulletin issued by Sea Doo on this issue? It is possible that the previous owner put the wrong solenoid in the ski but I don't think he had replaced any parts (didn't ride it much). That would mean that the original equipment was at fault. Bad design?
    Also, different issue, there are three wires connecting the ignition module with the electronic module. I think these three wires provide information to the electronic module to tell it if the engine is running. This would be how the electronic module knows wether or not to cut power 30 seconds after the start button is pressed(in the event you are just checking the gauges). Does anyone know what type of signal is passed on these wires?

Thanks for any help.

rkp

Re: 96xp Electrical Problem - Ele Mod...

I have seen this happen after a PWC has been boosted by alot of current from a jumper. I had one in here recently that the starter would run whenever you connected the battery cables. The owner confessed that he had used one of the portable jumper units that he bought at Walmart. Those 50 amp jumpers will do alot of damage to a Sea Doo electrical system. I had to replace his MPEM and some burnt wires in the electrical box.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
    X