96 SPX Impeller/Drive Shaft Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 SPX Impeller/Drive Shaft Issue?

Here's a new one to me. My buddy and I were out on my 04' FX HO and my 96 SPX this evening. The SPX just stopped dead in the water after about 45 minuts of him riding it. When I got back to him, the SBT engine was still running like a champ, but whenever he throddled up, it just sat there and did nothing. Towed it back, slowly, and then got it up on the trailer. There was nothing in the impeller when I removed the intake grate for inspection. However, I noticed that the impeller spun almost effortlessly when I turned it. Is it possible that I snapped a drive shaft or something like that? Again, the engine is running great, but it's like it's stuck in neutral. Any suggestions as to where I should begin with this? Thanks!

Re: 96 SPX Impeller/Drive Shaft Issue?

It's more likely the splines in the PTO coupler striped, usually due to improper installation. If the rubber bumpers were left out or the engine was not aligned, it's expected.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I'm new to working on these things, so please bear with me. I noticed that the larger "wheel" coming off the engine was spinning just fine. If I were to inspect for this, would I be able to do this without removing the impeller? Thanks for the help!

Comment

You need to pull the pump off the back, and slide the driveshaft out, then remove the PTO coupler from the engine. It's not easy to do still in the hull but can be done with a long pipe for leverage.

Comment

I'm going to go for removing the pump and doing as you suggested. I went down and looked to see what this would involve and it doesn't look too difficult. However, there's a rubber boot attached to the wheel coming off the engine. There's some sort of metal clamp on this thing that isn't like something that I've seen before. It has a few teeth on it, but there's nothing on it to loosen for this breakdown. Is this a specialized reusable clamp, or is something that I can remove with impunity if necessary? Thanks again!

Comment

The clamp is called an Okieter clamp. Remove it with a pair of dykes, throw it away and use a plastic wire tye wrap in it's place.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

For those of us not in the repair business, a pair of dykes is a set of wire cutters.

Comment

Not in Hollywood.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

So, I've dug pretty far into this now, but I've hit a snare. To remove the drive shaft without removing the engine, I believe that it is necessary to remove the rear plate underneath the pump assembly. I just can't get the angle to slip the drive shaft out without doing this. It looks as if this plate was "sealed" in with some type of caulk and I've managed to break that part free. However, it feels like the plate is still attached in the area that I circled in the picture. I haven't been able to find any additional bolts, either inside the hull or on the plate itself. Just concerned that if I force it(possibly with a tire jack) that it could snap or crack the hull if it's still bolted on there. Any suggestions as to how I can get this plate off? Thanks!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Dude, you got this thing all jacked up.

Remove the circlip or oring under the seal collar ( by sliding the collar rearward on the shaft to expose it), then the driveshaft slides straight back and out of the boat easily. Do not remove the pump support plate.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM

Comment

See the shiney sliver thing on the driveshaft in your first picture? That is part of the carbon seal assembly. You need to get it loose first, then slide the shaft through it and out of the boat. And that clamp has to come off too.
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM

Comment

Bill, thanks for the help. Here's where I'm at with this drive shaft, but I can't get that carbon seal to budge on the drive shaft. It's the shiney metal part that is about 3 inches long that can be seen at the top part of the drive shaft in the picture, right? Is it a matter of tapping it loose to get it to move forward? It's on there pretty good and doesn't want to budge.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wow you really have that messed up.

Watch this video, it shows you what to do: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12009

Comment

Here's where I'm at with this. Not to be redundant, but I just can't get this metal piece to come off the drive shaft. I watched the video as you suggested, but I'm still having some trouble. You're saying that this "shiney metal piece" on the right end of the drive shaft should slide forward toward the PTO wheel allowing the drive shaft to easily come out. Unfortunately, this piece is not moving. Any final suggestions before I swallow my pride and take it to the dealer? Other than this, this has been a pretty simple job. Again, thanks for the help and patience!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ok. In this newest picture, you have removed the small clamp that was still on there in the first picture. Have you removed the oring retainer that is under the sleeve ? The stainless steel collar has a retaining oring that you need to cut off. It is located under the front portion of that sleeve. Once you remove it, the collar (sleeve) will come forward and the driveshaft will pull out the back. In 1997, they upgraded from an oring to a steel circlip under the sleeve, so you could have either one in there. No way will you get it off without removing the retainer.
                              Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Working...
                              X