2000 XL800 Cavitation - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 XL800 Cavitation - Help

I have a cavitation problem with my XL800. RPMs are high but until I reach about 20mph there is no accel.
    I have read many posts on the XL & the XLT with a cavitation problem and soluitons of a pump seal kit, impeller, and an intake grate.
    Could someone give me a direction where to purchase these parts and what pitch and intake grate has worked for them. (Completely stock motor)

I know there is too much clearance between my impeller and pump. I have not put a feeler guage in there yet, but I can just see way too much daylight between the blades and the pump compared to my GP and friends Kawi.

Thanks

Re: 2000 XL800 Cavitation - Help

DTD--- you need to add a pump seal kit first and foremost.

The xl800's are big heavy skis with a relatively small motor---combine that with pump components that arent up to par, and you will sit there and spin for days down bottom--- we have all the components in stock to get you fixed up--- give me a call at the shop and well go over everything
    www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

Thanks, I will call tomorrow

Comment

How can I tell if the housing is within spec?
        I would hate to put a new impeller and seal kit on the ski only to take the pump apart again to replace the housing. I would rather do all at one time if I have to.

Thanks

Comment

Read the pump inspection tech article.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks, I read the article. The housing and inpeller do not have any major dings or scratches, just the clearance is to large. I guess what I am asking is how likely could the housing be bad?
            This ski has a 155mm pump? Will that be the ID of the housing? I can put a mic. on the housing, but I do not know what the tolerances should be, can anyone help out?
            Do I need to replace the impeller to find out if the clearance is back to spec, then if it is not replace the housing?
            Just trying to save some time if I have to replace both, but do not want to spend the $$ on a part that I do not have to.
            Thanks
            Sorry for the 20 questions.

Comment

The housing only needs replacement if you have obvioius damage - it does not wear like a plastic liner. If you have a clearance gap with a steel housing, you need a new impeller, it has worn or been damaged.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Although the stainless is more durable than a plastic liner, it still does wear. Yes a new or repaired impeller will fix some of the problem, the liner must also be checked.

Once you remove the pump from the ski you will be able to closley inspect the liner
                You will notice on the stainless ring there are 2 "fresh" spots where the impeller doesnt touch the ring. you can easily check the wear by putting a true straight edge across the 2 fresh spots
                an easy check is if you can see light through the worn area--- you can use a feeler guage to measure the clearance

The thing i like about the plastic liners is they are more forgiving on the impeller--- the plastic will wear before the stainless impeller.
                www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

Working...
                X