Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Bolts on Geneisis

For Tech Support

The instuctions for installing the Genesis exhaust manifold says to torque it to 40 ft lbs. At 30 I sheared off one bolt then tried another and sheared it off as well. Do bolts wear out and get weaker? I'll have to remove the engine and take it to a machine shop and have the bolts drilled out. Can I use just regular bolts from the hardware store that match?

Also I have a broken bolt in the manifold (the one that holds the exhaust pipe to the manifold). There is a wire that goes from the manifold to the electrical box. I goes into the manifold inside a piece of rubber. I need to remove it to get the manifold totally off to take it to the shop. Do I just pry the rubber stopper looking thing out with a screwdriver? I cannot find that part on the polaris diagrams so I dont know what the wire is for.

Re: Broken Bolts on Geneisis

Yep, looks like that's the wrong spec in the guide, it should be 22 ft.lbs. Sorry - we'll update it in the next revision! Yes you can use SS bolts from a fastner store.In the future, when torquing a bolt - you will feel it start to give long before it strips - so if you're ever unsure of a spec, use your head and don't keep going. Not placing any blame or anything, just trying to make sure no one else strips anything unecessarily.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

OK. I did feel it start to give, but at 30 I figured I was safe and kept going. Oh well.

How about the wire to the manifold. How do I get that out?

Comment

I'm not sure.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

That wire is the temp sensor. If you pry it out, be careful to not damage it. We use a seal pic or scratch owl to remove them. Try spraying some lubricate(WD40) around the rubber first before trying to remove it. As far as the bolts, the stock bolts are stainless steel, and that is what you need to use, otherwise they will rust and oxidize and then you have a real mess trying to remove them in the future. Also we use antiseeze on the bolt shaft and threads. Make sure you apply the proper Ultra cooper sealant on the manifold
          PS If you cant get the wire out of the manifold remove the wires from the electronic box and remove the manifold with the rubber plug still in it. If you damage that sensor you will have $65 for a new one # 2410196.

Proper torque is 26 ft lbs not 22 lbs (in 3 even steps 12,20,and then 26) for the stainless bolts that attach the exhaust manifold to the cylinders.

Comment

Thanks Modking

I was afraid to pry it out for fear of damaging it. I'll disconnect it from the oter end it that's easier.

What exactly is antisieze. I can tell by the name what it is but I've never seen it. Where do you get it?
            Last edited by mlyn; 08-26-2004, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Anti seize is a silver paste you apply to the bolt threads to keep them from corroding in place. You can buy it at any auto parts store or hardware store.

Comment

Working...
              X