The Sea Doo Squeal ???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sea Doo Squeal ???????

Ok... Here is a newby post!!! I have just purchased two Sea Doos. 1) 1992 Sea Doo XP runs great. 2) 1994 Sea Doo SP. This one is frustrating me. At first it would hardly move at WOT, had a very hard time getting on plane. I replaced the impeller that was in very bad shape with a Skat Trak 19 pitch impeller and a performance wear ring. It jumps out of the water and runs great (BUT) I have noticed a squeal when I exit the water at WOT and land. I have read other posts and some people are experiencing this when the pump goes dry but mine seems to only make the sound as it is hooking back up. almost like the shaft is about to strip out or something.

As well the XP is very solid on the water and hooks up nicely but the SP seems to be very squirly. On very smooth water at mid throtle it sways left to right almost enough to make you sea sick. but starting out it is solid and at WOT it is also solid. What could be causing this?

Re: The Sea Doo Squeal ???????

The swaying you describe is probably what is called " bow steering". This is when the bow is riding low in the water and the deep v shaped hull is causing the ski to trac left and right as it cuts through the water.

The squeel is possibly the splines in the pto or impellor slipping, or possibly you pinched the flat bearing in the pump wnen you installed the impellor?
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I dont think it is slipping... as it hooks and goes when it is making the sound. it is just frustrating to hear. There was almost 0 clearance between the impellor and wear ring. could it be touching under extreme loads and causing the sound? there was no play in the bearings when I replaced the impellor.

like I say the only time I hear it is when re-entering the water just as it hooks up at WOT. pulling tubes or mashing the gas ETC there is no sound.

Comment

An impellor hitting a rubber wear ring does not make a squeeling sound, but no end play in the impellor shaft with the cone installed certainly will. You had better be sure the bearing is not pinched because if it is, you will soon be buying a new pump and impellor shaft, one thrust washer and one flat bearing.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

Im sorry let me correct myself, there was end play in and out slightly but not side to side. the impeller also spins freely in the pump.

Thanks for the help by the way.
          Mike

Comment

End play with the cone installed? Or end play before you installed the cone? How much end play would you guess you had? The reason I ask is whenever I have heard a squeel from the driveline, and there is nothing wrapped around the driveshaft like a rope, it is either a stripped spline or someone has pinched the thrust bearing in the pump when installing the impellor. Believe me, it happens, even to experenced mechanics.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

After the impeller was tight I could move it back and fourth about 1/16 of an inch or less. I think I know what you are talking about though, the first time I put the impeller on it wouldnt turn and I loosened everything and put it together again and it spins free. Once the cone is on I have no way to check... I was thinking of getting the extended cone with the spring tensioner but that is another topic.

Would type of oil used cause this squeal? I didnt have any SEA DOO oil so I used outboard lower unit oil when filling the cone.

Im a little confused, if the bearing was pinched wouldnt it squeal all of the time? Rather than short bursts when hooking up?

Comment

I will guarantee you pinched that bearing if what you say you did is true. Yes you can, and should, always check endplay with the cone installed. It should move about 1/8th inch ( or anywhere close to that ) back and forth and make a clicking sound with the cone installed, spring tensioner or not. The type of oil is mute. It really doesn't matter.

Remove your cone and check for ground up metal, if you do not see metal shavings, you might be able to save the pump if you dissassemble the pump now and replace the flat bearing. Inspect the bearing closely. Look at the center circle where it sits on the shoulder of the impellor shaft. Look for deformed metal where it gets pinched when the flat bearing slips off center from the shaft. If you see any sign of deformation or bluing, replace the bearing and any other affected parts like the thrust washer or shaft.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

Great thanks for all the help.... I will keep you posted.

Comment

The correct way to install an impellor so that you will not pinch the bearing is to mount the impellor shaft pointing straight up in a vise. Then put axle grease on the bearing and install it onto the impellor shaft making sure is is seated on the shoulder of the impellor shaft. Then grease the thrust washer and stick it into the pump. Slide the pump down over the impellor shaft and screw the impellor onto the shaft ( I use anti sieze on the shaft threads, not loc-tite ). Spin the pump housing to see if it spins freely.
                    Now, here is the important step. Using your fingers, pick the pump out of the vise by only holding the impellor and be sure that the impellor does not move rearward. This keeps the bearing from dropping out of place. Without letting the impellor move rearward, replace the tail cone with a new oring and 518 sealant on the oring. If you cannot replace the tail cone so that it seats tightly against the pump without pulling it tight with the three screws, you have the bearing out of place. Stop right here and remove the impellor and straighten up the bearing and start over.
                    If you can push the cone on by hand without the use of the screws to pull it down tight, proceed installing the three screws. Now, take the impellor and push and pull on it until you hear it click and it moves at least .100 thousanths or more back and forth showing you that it has end play with the cone attached. Pressure test the cone to 10 psi for at least two minutes or so. Fill with oil.
                    If it won't hold pressure, spray the cone with soapy water and look for the bubbles. It can also leak out of the seal for the impellor shaft. Fix any leak where you see bubbles by removing the cone and look for a pinched oring, or change the front seal. Remember, anytime the cone is off, do not let the impellor move rearward so that the bearing can get dislodged.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM

Comment

Then there is my problem!!!! i installed the wear ring then the impeller after that I re-installed the pump. with the pump in place I then put the cone on and tested then filled with oil. I was not aware that the impeller could move far enough to dislodge the bearing!!!! guess Ill chalk this up to learning!!!

There is tons of information on this site and i just want to thank you for taking the time to help out the Newby!!:o

Comment

That is one of the most thorough and easily understood posts I have ever read!
                        "I'm doing the best that I can according to my current awareness!"

Comment

Bill, :(

Well I finally had time to take everything apart and I am afraid it is trashed!!!! as soon as I broke the cone loose this god awfull smell came out of the cone.

Imagine my surprise I am sitting there expecting to get a lap full of oil and nothing came out. there was a metal paste in the cone and chunks of crap and small rings of metal.

So what now? can anything be saved? My wear ring that was brand new now has a few nicks and the impeller still looks new. would the pump be shot at this point , or can I replace the bearings washers etc?

What is the cost of the new or used needed parts and where can I find them.

Do you ship to the East coast?

Thanks Mike

Comment

Well, take a close look at the rear of the center hub of the pump vanes to see if the broken pieces of bearings have damaged the surface that the flat thrush washer rides against. If it is not all eaten away then the pump is usually rebuildable.
                            You will need at least,
                            One flat bearing, one thrust washer, two internal pump shaft bearings and one front oil seal and a new oring for the cone. That is about $60.00 worth of parts from any SD dealership.

All wear rings other than brand new have nicks and scratches in them, but you need to decide wether or not the clearance and the damage is too much to use again. A new wear ring is about $35-$40 at any SD dealership.

The internal bearings will need to be pressed out of and into the pump.

I completely rebuild a usuable pump housing and impellor shaft for around $200.00 including all new bearings and seals, thrust washer and wear ring, and labor if you send me the pump housing and usuable impellor shaft and impellor.
                            Bill O'Neal <br>
                            WCM

Comment

I just whant to say U probebly saved me trubel end monny. just obaut to install
                              13/20 skat trak. on my modded(whid Rotax 793 ho.140hp 7800rpm 2.5 inch straigt out from pipe gsx limited 98.my goal is 70+mph .i have just starting to gett the speed. iam in the test fase. hadit for 1 month now:emoticonb

Comment

Working...
                              X