Kawasaki 1100 ZXI Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki 1100 ZXI Rebuild

Help! I have just rebuilt my 2000 Kawasaki 1100 zxi for the second time. I originally bought the ski as a fixer-upper with a lean condition piston. I had replaced the pistons with 1.0 over Wiescos and changed the carbs to carbs from a 97 1100 ZXI (I also rebuilt them with WSM rebuild kits), thinking that the problem was with the carbs. After the rebuild and slow speed break in the compression was 120-122-120 across all three cylinders. Once I began to open the throttle to wide open, it would not reach over 6500 rpm until I bounced over some boat wake (engine was not under load then) where the engine would rev past 7000 and then the ski would have tons of power and rev up to 7200 rpm for a while and then after slowing down it would not rev past 6500 again. Unfortunately I think I was ignoring a problem and compression dropped to 90 in the PTO cylinder. I took it apart, the cylinder wall was scored and the ring siezed (very similiar to the original problem). I had it completely rebuilt (again including the bottom end) with 1.5mm PRO-X pistons. I replaced the fuel pickup valve and fuel filter thinking that that was the reason for the problem. I have done the low speed break-in and have good compression 125-127-124. I took it out and tried full throttle and it has the same low full throttle rpm problem. I immediately shut it down and still have good compression (not broken yet I hope). I think I have a lean wide open throttle condition. I have tried to richen the high speed mixtue with the adjustment screws with no success. The metal rim around the plugs on all three cylinders is as shiney as when they were new. Could this be a pop-off pressure issue, or jetting, or timing, or fuel pump or ?????? Help, I can't afford to rebuild it again!!!! Or am I to the point I need to take it to someone who actually probably knows what they are doing instead of my trying to learn as I go? If that is the case, can anyone recommend an expert in Kawasaki's in the Chicago, Illinois area? Man I'm frustrated.
Working...
X