Driveway Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Driveway Queen

What if your problem is spark? There is a lot more of a load on the machine when it is in the water and you crank it. Does it turn over at a good clip? If starter fluid won't even make it sputter you gotta either be flooded rich (which I guess you would smell), or have a spark problem. If you pull a plug while in the water, ground it and crank - how is your spark? Pull the machine out of the water - do it again - same result?
    WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
    Skat Trak D-75 SS 6 Vein Pump
    Skat Trak 13/18 Swirl Impeller

Comment

Check the electrical box for water. Had a similar problem once. Would start
      on the trailer if level. Would not start at an angle on the loading ramp. Ran intermittently while in the water. Water in the electrical box was the culprit. Level on land it apparently was not high enough to cause a problem but at an angle or boucing around the lake things apparently got wet that shouldn't.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Had thw electrical box apart to check for water. None. While I had it open I replaced the 1/4 amp fuse for the MFD. Now it works. It cranks in real good. I checked the plugs while I was cranking it over. All three had a very light spark. Starter fluid will help most of the time. I would really like to get this thing running right. It really is a kick once it gets startes. Thanks again for all the help. .025 gap? 92 octane? Can it hurt?

Comment

That "light spark" does not sound right to me. Unfortunately I cannot help
          you trouble shoot a weak spark. Hopefully someone else can

Comment

Thanks 99. I hope I can get a starting point from this forum.

Comment

Increasing your octane won't help you. In fact, if I understand the physics correctly - higher octane may even be a step backwards. Decreasing the gap may help the spark bridge the gap - but it is only a bandaid for the real problem. Search the forum - I know I have seen a suggestion on removing the plug boot and cutting the end off each plug wire - then reinstalling the boot to give it a fresh end. I would suppose the idea here is a high resistance.
              WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

Thanks Scott. Maybe we'll try that. I was thinking about changing the 3 wires to see if that would help. Figuring there 10 years old. Any guess how much the 3 wire set cost?

Comment

No idea. Partsland.com doesn't even seem list them as a separate item.
                  WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Comment

Spark plug wires are not available since they are integrated into the coils.

Comment

Thanks for the reply warfare. I meant to say the complete assembly wires/coil. By the way, is it possible for all 3 coils to break down? The manual I have says the coils are all in series. If one coil is bad/breaking down would that affect the other 2? This faint spark when the ski is warmed up/riden baffles me. Of course I'm a rookie at working on this thing, much less troubleshooting. Any help would be great.

TG

Comment

Okay. Took the ski out today and the same thing. The only way to ride this ski, is start it on the trailer, back it in the water and go. Runs great. If you want to ride it again you better get on within 5 min. or it's not going to start unless you put it back on the trailer. Turns over great both in and out of the water. Starter fluid helps sometimes. I'm at a loss. Compression is 125-125-120. Spark is weak after it's warmed up. New plugs helped the first time out, after that, same issue. We bought this ski second hand and by looking at it the carbs have never been off this engine. Total eng. hrs. on MFD is 95.6 but the display probally didn't work for years. Could someone tell me were to start troubleshooting. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

I Hope some how the problem with your machine can be solved. I have a 94 sea doo XP with the exact same symptoms. Engine will always start on trailer, will start by lifting jet pump out of the water onto dock, start engine then put back in water and go no problem. Engine will run all day perfctly,until I stop the engine and try to restart in water, no start again. Sometimes it does manage to sputter to life again. I Checked everything rotary valve clearance, cleaned carbs many times, good spark, good compression. Tried pouring gas down spark plug holes. Still no positive solution. Although I have to say I have had times where the engine did start no problem in the water. I am completely out of Ideas.

Comment

Thanks for the reply GMERZ. I know your pain. The thing is, it's only a 2 cycle engine. I hope with all the folks who read these boards someone could point me in the right direction. I'd get rid of it but now I'm bound and determined to get this thing running the way it's suppose to. Maybe just baby it till winter so I can tear it apart. Any more ideas. ????

Comment

Have you gone through the electrical system making sure all the connections are good? When I mean good take the ground off of the engine and clean it with a wire brush then reattach torque to spec. Take both + and - off of the battery and clean thoroughly with a wire bush and reattach. Then go to the electrical box and remove the ground wires from the Allen screw and clean then reattach. Look for any loose connections and tighten / reattach where necessary. If you have the manual check all of the spark system's wiring for tight clean connections. This procedure has solved many spurious spark / electrical issues for me. Keep in mind the more thorough you are the less likely you will miss anything. Also check the plug wires(look for any cracks or cuts in the outer covering) take the sparkplug ends off and snip off about a 1/4" and reattach the plug boots.

Comment

Have you checked your battery? I had the same problem with a 1994 Sp when on the trailer it would fire with one rotation of the starter. once in the water I could crank it all day and it wouldn't start. ( swim to shore drag the pump out of the water and it would start on the first crank) I replaced the battery and vwala problem solved. I was told that there was not enough juice to crank it fast enough to give adequite spark.

Comment

Working...
                                X