Zx1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zx1000

you should not have to cut anything. I just installed one of these on a 99 stx about 2 weeks ago. If you havent already removed the carbs it is really the only way to do it. You must inspect the rod that holds the butterflys on. When you look closely you will see some "C" clamps that hold the bar on, inbetween each carb. Get some small needle nose pliers and remove them, when you remove these clamps it will be easy to remove the bar. Once you get the bar removed make sure that you install the plugs inside the holes. They can be a pain in the you know what to get in so they may need a little lube and elbow grease. I hope this helped, post again if you have any ?'s.

Comment

My kit did not come with instructions on removing the old choke parts.

As I said before, getting the choke parts off was the worst part. I fought the carbs for quite a while before I was able to get the stuff off. I did not remove the carbs from the ski and I did not have to hack saw anything. Once I got pissed off enough to decide that it did not matter what the condition of the parts I took of was (they arn't going back on anyway) it went a bit faster. You do have to be VERY careful not to drop anything down the carb throat either taking stuff off or putting it back on.
      It might help if you had a repair manual that shows carb dissassembly. If I remember right there are several small clips that have to be removed.
      Dave
      Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

there are several small clips, and thats why it is best to take the carbs off of the intake. It is a very simple procedure, that can save you from having to take apart the whole engine to find one small clip. when removing the carbs the only real danger is the clips that hold the oil lines to the carbs. you must push them down the line before removing the lines from the carbs. If you drop on in the intake manifold and dont notice, you can kiss that engine goodbye. If you take the carb off you will be able to look at the rod closer. And also DaveG you are right in the fact that you probably will never put the choke back on the ski. It dosent work, that is why we have the primer kit. I have never worked on ski's before, and for that matter any kind of engines, and installing the primer took me about 2 hrs to get it on. Good Luck

Comment

give it full gas when you crank it. Kawi starters almost never fail because of use, most of the time they either get water in them, or the bendex holds and the starter spins up with the engine. The 1100 is a fun little boat. Have Fun!
          Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
          2002-1100STX DI
          2004-15F
          2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have the carbs off but not separated. Its seems like there is not enough room to pull the rods out with out separating the carbs. but I will look closer into it.

also the new primer comtrol seems to be bigger than the origanal? I am thinking of just leaving the new primer comtrol inside the motor compartment and just wire tying it up in there some how?

Comment

I put the primer pump in the hole where the choke knob was. It fit fine, looks very nearly stock and is easy to get to. If the choke hole is too small it is not hard to enlarge it with a rat tail file.
              I would not reccomend doing the wire tie route for several reasons.
              1 - When pumping the primer it does take a bit of effort, not an overwhelming amount, but you are moving fuel 3' - 4'.
              2 - I would be worried about the strees of the added movement of the fuel lines causing cracking or maybe coming off the pump.
              3 - On my ski, you have to remove 2 seats to get to the engine compartment.
              4 - If you need to use it while on the water the seats have to come back off - not fun while bobbing in waves.
              5 - It is a whole lot easier to explain to the wife & kids how to pump the primer 3 or 4 times as opposed to "pull both seats, pump the primer, start the ski, repeat untill it warms up, put the seats back on, etc".
              Dave
              Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

Ok I have all the carbs back on the primer lines & Ts in.. But getting the old choke control out and the new primer control is being a huge problem...... there seems to be a water tight seal that all the wires for the gauges run through plus the choke cable. I can not get at the seal at all to run the new primer lines . do you ned to remove the couling ? if so how does that come off?

Comment

Working...
                X