951 low end noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 951 low end noise

I just bought a year end blow out of a '98 GTX with 951 engine from a marina. The owner of the marina tells me this " Our other branch that took it in says it needs a new engine. OUr mechanic got it running but says it has it needs a new engine, I'm not so sure because it seems to run good" Now usually I side with a mechanic, not a salesman trying to move a piece of junk. I did a compression check and both cylinders were at about 120 psi. The machinie does have low end noise at low RPM. But when out on the lake the thing runs o.k. with it seeming to be more of a carburation issue making it run a little rough. Top end is not affected as speedo shows 60 mph. I did get a great deal, so it isn't the end of the world if I need to short block it. I would like to finish out the season (2-3 more weeks) before pulling it out of the water and tearing it apart. The engine has 80 hours on it. Any advice or where to start looking? Thanks.

Re: 951 low end noise

i have a 98 gtx 951 and gsx 951 both have new remans from sbt and these guys have a great product and great cust service.. dont buy used, you never know what your getting!!!! BTW make sure you rebuild your carbs with NEW kits and you should pick up a SEA DOO service manual. good luck!!:D

Comment

What are you looking for ? A problem in that motor? Or, a new or rebuilt motor?
      Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

I would prefer to figure out problem and fix this engine. So any ideas on what these engines are historically noted for with these symptoms would be appreciated. I have used SBT before and know it is a great option, but if I can save hundreds thats my choice. Thanks.

Comment

Look at the crankshaft bearings, rods and top end bearings, counterbalancer.

Pistons rattle, rods knock, bearings growl.
          Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Good advice Bill, it is not a growl, but either a rattle or a knock. Now the question is do I get to ride it 4 or 5 times until the end of the season here in NY? I am guessing the answer is no. I will probably take out a couple times this weekend then pull it out. I can't stand the thought of not riding it until next year. This will give me a chance to work on it and get it back in for a fall ride, with the dry suit! It looks like I have a lot to learn, thank god for great web sites like this!

Comment

Do you feel lucky?
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM
              <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

How about a little premix to make this failing engine a little more slippery, just to make it to the finish line of Labor Day?

(Do you feel lucky, punk? would have been more powerful i.e. dirty harry) lol

Comment

If You Have A Noisy 951 Stop Running It. Extra Oil Will Not Help. Just Remember,if You Do Loose A Rod And Do Case Damage It Will Cost You More For Replacment. Is It Really Worth It?
                  WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Working...
                  X