(97-99) Stock GP1200 Topspeed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: (97-99) Stock GP1200 Topspeed?

Do you know that for sure..i remember hearing something about you should stay with whats on the 97 as far as the nozzle, and not switch it..but im not 100% sure i heard that, but i just remember hearing something similar to that...so please let me know..also where woudl i be able to find a 98 or 99 5 degree nozzle?
    thanks a lot

Comment

Technical Support, how much are they new? also could i please see pictures of the one that you have? (is it from a 98 or 99?) and whats its condition

thanks a lot!

Comment

Yes I know that for sure. The 5 deg nozzle adds top speed but causes a bit more porpoising in rough water. On lakes it's great. If you want one new order through a dealer.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I have to make ure I still have it - it may be at home - if I still have it I'll post a pic, yes. It's in perfect condition.

Comment

thanks, just keep me updated...also is the difference in purpoising from a 97 to a 98 or 99 that much of a difference that its noticable a lot?

Comment

Crap - sorry I did already sell it :(

Comment

also, i just wanted to add..what exactly is the 5 degree pump nozzle and whats the difference between that and my 97 nozzle...because actually when i purchased my 97 gp1200 new, a year or two later, a pwc mechanic friend of mine curved a tie-rod or some sort that was directly connected to the nozzle ...so instead of the tie rod being straight, he made it curve a bit, and he said it should add another mph or 2...is that the whole difference between a stock 97 and 98 or 99 nozzle? if so, i believe my nozzle is already modified that its just like the 98 or 99

thanks, please let me know if i am correct

Comment

The differnce varies year to year because of the reduction nozzle and the trim tabs, or lack there of. They all did it, it takes a specific combo of parts for your type of water to get rid of it. I had to change everything when I came down from MI.

Comment

wait, so i would have to do more than just change my 97 nozzle to a 98 or 99 nozzle to get the topspeed difference? id have to change the trim tabs and all?..please explain this to me...also woudl you happen to know about the tierod and how the guy curved it instead of it being straight, and what he did exactly?
                    thanks

Comment

Your friend is an idiot. He bent the trim rod. Put it back, if it's not already damaged. All that does is limit your bow down trim and stress the trim cable.

The reduction nozzle is the last metal nozzle that compresses the water on exit. The '97 has a straight out nozzle, the '98-'99 is 5 deg up, making the box of the ski come up a bit more to plane differently. The trim nozzle does a similar job, although doing it at the reduction stage is more efficient and at different lever point.

Comment

Man stop posting before I answer!

The nozzles interchange, that's all you have to do. I was explaining the porpoising between the years. Trim tabs have nothing to do with the nozzle.

Comment

ok, well abotu the trim rod being curved on mine..i've been riding with it liek that for 5-6years and havent had any problem with it or anything having to do wit the trim or anything...ill search aroudn the internet for the 5 degree pump nozzle from 98 through 99 gp1200's..thanks, also is the purpoising that noticeable of a difference between the 97 to a 98 or 99..would it be annoying enough to make me want to change back to the 97 nozzle?
                          thanks

Comment

The cable isn't going to break - but you are limited in your available trim down angles, and if you put on the '98+ nozzle it will be even worse. You won't have ANY down trim!

If you ride in ocean surf then stick with the '97. Lake riding, go '98+.

Comment

Well, I'm able to go through all 5 trims on my stock 97 GP1200 even with that curved rod...do you mean with the curved rod im able to go through all 5 trims but my down trims are at less degree of change compared to as if i had a straight rod?
                              thanks

Comment

also, i go riding in both lake and ocean waters..and usually the lake waters are a bit choppy...so i think ill stick with my stock nozzle on my 97..but please inform me on the rod and all and if i should change it back..if im able to go through all 5 trims, maybe im just explaining something wrong to you

thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X