neoprene pump seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neoprene pump seal

i just bought a new prop for the 96 gtx and was stripping everything out. i noticed that there was no neoprene seal(or any seal or sealant for that matter) between the pump and the pump support. i looked in my manual and it doesn't call one out, also, the old wear ring looks like it has some type of integrated lip seal where it contacts the pump support.

should i be putting a seal in anyway? i've already got one on hand but i don't want to put it in if it will affect the pump in a bad way... some people were telling me to stick one in regardless.

???

Re: neoprene pump seal

It certainly cannot hurt to use a neoprene seal between the pump and the pump support. The reason the manual doesn't call for it is because they didn't make neoprene seals until later.

I perfer to use silicone for a seal myself on 787 powered GTX's because they tend to suck the seals out alot faster than a lighter XP or SPX.

The bigger and heavier the watercraft with the higher horsepower motors really do a job on silicone and neoprene seals because they suck alot harder than a watercraft that is lighter and/or has less power.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

ok, i'll probably use the right stuff then, i have some of that. so is that (the original configuration)supposed to be an integrated seal on the end of the wear ring/pump where it makes to the support? it looks like a lip type seal that it was originally installed with no sealant.

thanks for the help yet again! ;)

Comment

Yep, and it didn't work for crapola and that is why SD redesigned the pump seal in 1999 with the large rubber seal around the outer part of the pump. Trouble is, that seal will not fit on a 1998 pump.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

it's amazing how many quirks and tricks there are to learn, and that's just for my 2 skis! :o

Comment

Use lots of The Right Stuff and make your own seal. Just leave it to set up for about 24 hours before you ride the ski and suck it all out again..
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

Is it possible to throw the engine to pump alignment off by using alot off sealant on the pump support plate?
              "I'm doing the best that I can according to my current awareness!"

Comment

No.
                Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Working...
                X