Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with broken hull bolts

1993 Waverunner III, 650

The threaded inserts that hold the ride plate and pump bolts--how do they "work?"

After much drilling and breaking tools and bits, we are at the point that I think the prudent thing to do is replace what the Yamaha drawings call "nut, inser" and "cling," parts 2 and 3 in this drawing:

http://216.37.204.203/yamaha_OEM/Yam...&B=15&Action=O

They are epoxied into the hull. Any advice on breaking them loose and replacing them?

Thanks

Re: help with broken hull bolts

Search the old posts, I can remember reading about this at one time. Someone had a similar problem in another brand of ski. I can remember there was some good information contained in the post.

Comment

Looks similar to my 1200s.
      When they spin in the hull and you cant get the bolts out you need to grab the insert from inside the hull with vice grips.
      I dont know for sure if they are the same but that is what I would try to do.
      SCOTT...

Comment

We make brackets for spinning hull inserts for the rideplate and pump shoe(GPR) Or in your case ones with broken bolts in them.
        We dont have them available for your model BUT if your interested we can make you up a set--- they will replace your OEM inserts and theyll never spin again
        Give us a call if you need.
        www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

Thanks--I'll call Island Racing on Tuesday. I also sent an email.

How should I get the existing inserts out? Dremel the epoxy out? Creative drilling? I obviously don't want to damage the hull.

Comment

I went though that same problem a couple of years ago on an 92 yamaha vxr.
            Just take a small punch and knock the old fitting out. You can order new ones from yamaha, Riva had them in stock when I ordered mine. The fitting in the hull is molded with the same hexagon shape as the insert, so they drop right in and can't spin. I ran some silicone around mine to seal them. After I got one installed and seeing how easy it was I was kicking myself in the butt for wasting a weekend trying to drill them out

Comment

Hey Island Racing,

Do you guys have the setup for a GP1200?
              Everytime I have to take my ride plate off I gotta take my water box out. Pain in the A**.

I will try calling tomorrow.

Thanks
              So FaR!! So MuCh FuN!!!

Factory 99' GP1200
              Riva Intake Grate
              Solas Impeller
              Everything Else Stock!!
              247+ Hours and counting.......

Comment

So it's really that easy? Tap them out from beneath the hull? As another poster stated, there is a "golf-ball sized" gob of epoxy surrounding the insert on the inside? No worries about damaging the hull this way?

Thanks

Comment

I believe on the old VXR's and WVIII the inserts were also covered with a plastic cyl with the brown epoxy that was placed over the entire insert---

To get the epoxy off it must be heated with a heat gun and pried off-- the heat will soften the epoxy---- or can be ground off.

the problem with using the OEM inserts again is that they will usually spin again.

FLY--- Yes we can make them up for the GP
                  www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

Yes, its that easy. All that excess epoxy thats on the inside will come out will the insert. Go knock one of the broken ones out and you'll see what i mean. I ended up doing all the bolts on my ride plates and intake grates on both 92 vxr's that I owned at the time.

I also found 4 of these inserts I still had left over. If you want them email me your address and I'll send them to you

Comment

Thanks turbodave!

I sent my mailing address to the email account listed in your profile.
                      I'll PM you as well.
                      Thanks everybody.

Comment

For future searchers with the same problem:

Yes, just punch the inserts (with a punch and hammer) through from the bottom. The epoxy will break free from the hull. Once it breaks free you can use channel-lock pliers to pull out the epoxy and insert. Then you can drop the new insert into the hexagonal recess. I used silicone to make it watertight rather than pouring epoxy on it.

The heat gun wasn't very helpful, as it only softened the epoxy enough to drive the insert into the soft epoxy.

Thanks again Turbodave for the parts.

Comment

Glad you got it fixed!

Comment

Working...
                          X