Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

zXI 1100 Should I be able to move the trim by hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zXI 1100 Should I be able to move the trim by hand?

I recently bought a mint '96 zxi 1100 (stock). The trim doesn't seem to be working and I have no manuals (a service one is on order) The seller told me it was working when he winterized, but he is too far away to ask for help. I installed the battery and it fired right up- rpm, and speedo work, however trim gauge just shows nose of the craft strait up and the down/up trim switch does nothing. Should it work without the craft running? The battery is brand new and has tons of cranking power. I can't hear any sounds when I hit the switch. All the connections look and feel tight, and the wires look in great condition. When I try to move the trim by hand it doesnt want to move and I dont want to force it. What should I try? there are no local kawi dealers familiar with watercraft.
    EDIT
    Ok, I checked the fuses above the pump and fuse was good, checked it with the meter and it had power. I Patched the trim motor directly to the battery and it works both up and down. but I am not sure what wires to check to see if there is a short further in the line. Could I have a problem with the Kats system, or a short in the trim/kats switches?? there is a selenoid in the trim box, what does that do??
    Last edited by cleetus; 09-11-2004, 09:55 PM. Reason: more info

Re: zXI 1100 Should I be able to move the trim by hand?

I have a 1996 1100 ZXI too. The trim will work without the enginge running if the on/off switch is "on". Have you checked the fuses? There is a fuse for the trim in the electrical box (under oil tank). Unscrew the black threaded plug and check the fuse.

Comment

Re: zXI 1100 Should I be able to move the trim by hand?

thanks for the reply. I will check that first. What about the extra cord that goes to the battery? Does that just connect to the terminal or ground (it is on the terminal now)? Does it effect the trim?

I checked the fuse and it looked good. I also replaced it, but trim is still not working.
      Last edited by cleetus; 09-11-2004, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X