Kawa Ultra 150 excessive oil out exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawa Ultra 150 excessive oil out exhaust

My ultra has just started pumping a lot of oil out the exhaust. It is pumping so much oil out that you can see splatters of oil fly out when reved.

Has anyone else ever had this problem or have any ideas on the problem?

I know the Ultra has variable oil injection & was wondering is there an adjustment nob for this?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! :)
    Last edited by lucas733; 09-11-2004, 09:48 AM. Reason: typos

Re: Kawa Ultra 150 excessive oil out exhaust

Hey Lucas, There is no knob for the ajustment, it is done with the cables. The procedure should be in your owners manual (I have an STXR and its in there). If not all you have to do is find the throttle cable and the oil pump cable. They split from one into two and one cable goes to the carbs and one to the oil pump. Losen them both with the jam nuts. Then use a zip tie to hold the throttle wide open and adjust the cable going to the carb first so that it holds the butterflies slightly against the stops. Next adjust the oil pump cable so that it is wide open also (against its stop), then back it off about a half to a whole turn with the nut (you should be able to just barely feel any play in the arm - manual says 0.6mm clearance between the stop and the arm @ WOT). Then tighten the jam nuts to hold the adjusment. The whole process takes two 10mm wrenches and about fifteen minutes. I had to do this on my brand new stxr as it was not right from the dealer and after I was finished the oil comsumption dropped considerably.

Hope this helps
    If Harley Davidson built an airplane - would you fly on it?

Comment

It is most likely the cable snapped or came off the pully. If the cable comes off the pully the valve will open fully. This will push lots of oil through the engine. The plugs will need to be changed if this is the problem.
      Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
      2002-1100STX DI
      2004-15F
      2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

I checked all of the cables as per the manual & they all seemed fine. Funilly enough, I have run it a couple more times on the garden hose & the oil has died down!

Is it possible that the last person to ride it (not me) got too trigger happy when trying to start it & flooded the engine with oil & gas, as I did have to clean the oily spark plugs before I could get it started?

Would this leave a build up of oil & spit it all out when next started or should I be looking for something more?

Thanks for the feed back!

Comment

clean the plugs or replace as needed. It may give a little puf or so, but it will all work its way back out. Next time your out and after it has warmed up (as you should always do) Run it WOT for a bit (1-2 min) and that will clean her out good.
          Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
          2002-1100STX DI
          2004-15F
          2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Working...
          X