SBT Jetski Engines, Parts & Accessories

From
    Virginia

Default Installed new SBT motor - great experience

I just replaced the engine in my Yamaha Waverunner III. I have had skis for 15 years, but other than routine maintenance, have never worked on them internally. When my current motor went due to overheating, my local dealer wanted $2700 for a rebuild. Started looking around on the web and found several possible alternatives to dealer rebuild. Decided on going with SBT - at this time one of the best decisions I have made in the past several years.

SBT has been great. Tech support first rate (response to my specific questions was great/timely), delivery of my engine on time and ease of returning the old core made it a dream. The removal/installation guide provided by SBT is excellent. For anyone contemplating swapping out your engine and maybe feeling intimidated - don't be afraid. With only minimal tools, ability to read at a 3rd grade level, and only an ounce of patience, no reason you can't swap it out yourself. I put my motor in last week and am just getting through the break-in period. To this point, motor seems to be performing great. To date, I have been extremely pleased with the SBT experience. This past weekend, I ran across a hull with ruined motor. I am considering buying the hull and putting in an SBT motor just to have a spare ski - that is how reasonable the prices at SBT are and how easy it is to swap out the motor.

I went back to my dealer and suggested he consider installing SBT rebuilds over rebuilding himself. I think it would be a win-win for all. At the very least, give the customer the option. In my case, the ski is an older ski, but I have had it since new and the ski is in like-new condition. However, from a financial perspective, I may have been better off to buy a new one than invest $2700 in a rebuild.

Thanks to SBT for making my decision easy. If the durability of the motor is anywhere near as great as the service provided by SBT to date, I'll be ecstatic.

From
    Charlotte, NC

Default Re: Installed new SBT motor - great experience

Sounds like good news to me. Now, if no more hurricanes come I should be getting mine back soon, too. I wanna ride before the weather gets too cold. :o

From
    Virginia

Default Re: Installed new SBT motor - great experience

For your information, I only had one problem and it had nothing to do with the quality of the SBT motor. Most of the bolts, ie., intake manifold and crankcase cover, are of a low torque setting (11-20 ft. lbs.). I used a new torque wrench with settings in inch pounds. I had the settings correct, however I broke several bolts before I determined there was an apparent intermitten malfunction with the torque wrench. The bolts are class A stainless, but they break off very easily. I ended up taking the block to a mechanic who thankfully was very good at getting out the broken bolts. I had tried removing them with a left hand drill bit, but was afraid I would damage the threads and compound my problem. Just as a precaution, you may want to bench test your torque wrench before torqueing the low-setting bolts. The problem I had probably only happens with one in ten million people, if that often.

Thread Information