exhaust leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust leak

I was wondering what or where would be the most obvious places be to look for an exhaust leak on a motor it seems that after only about 30 minutes of riding today i noticed alot of water in my hull so I pulle dthe boat out of the water and drained the hul then checked everything out and noticed that the drain plug had either worked its way out or i forgot it i am almost certain i screwed it in as it is part of my prelaunch checks but it was loose i re secured it and relaunched and after about 30 more minutes it as filling back up again so i pulled it again and this time the plug was secure so Im wondering where the water leak could be I have no holes in my hull that has been checked so any help guys ????

Re: exhaust leak

With your ski secured on the trailer and backed into the water run the engine with the seat off and check the water lines,engine and exhaust for a water leak.

Comment

Driveshaft Seal ?
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Bill boat motor less than 10 hours just recently rebuilt when i look back traveling in water i can see water coming out the two piss holes as im riding along

Comment

What is wrong with that ? Those are to tell you the water is circulating through the motor.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

Bill Im not stating anything wrong with that i am saying that is what i see and that that should be correct i am not sure why you say drive shaft seals so i was letting you know that the motor was just rebuilt so that shouldnt be problem or could it I dont know im asking advise and giving the info that i have and what i have looked at i think i saw in another post someone saying that a leak in the exhaust would cause the hull to flood as water was not going out the exhaust but just into the hull and i am wondering where i should be looking to see where water would be coming from and into the hull thanks again

Comment

Well, the driveshaft coupler could have ben installed wrong to back up Bill, it also might just be worn down.

As far as the exhaust leak.... Usually these mid90's leak where the exhaust manifold bolts to the pipe. There are 3 bolts and a stud with a nut. These like to walk themselves out or even wose shear off. If this is the case, you have excessive vibration on your motor. Check all of the mounts, driveshaft straigtness etc etc. This vibration is USUALLY caused by the rubber dampeners that go in between the manifold and the block. These eventually wear down.

Put you ski in the water, on the trailer, start her up, you will see where it's comming from.

I honestly don't think it's an exhaust leak, because you made no monetion of the ski's bogging down. When you have an exhaust leak, and your seat is on, the exhaust fumes will literally choke the Oxygen supply in the hull, thereby stalling your engine. But, check it anyway. I would look at all of your lines, bigle clogged? Hoses burnt through? Drain Plug in? (had to ask). Give it a once over, and while your at it, go ahead and check the bolts on the exhaust.

Just my 2cents.
              Dan Solie -
              04 RXP (the "Instigator")
              94 xp (freestyle mods)
              95 xp (faster than the 94)
              JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

The driveshaft seal is on the driveshaft, not the motor. It is a very common place to leak water into the hull. It is under the grey plastic driveshaft cover behind the motor.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

thanks guys ill have to take it out and see im just at a loss because i put about 6-7 hours on this thing and it ran fine then all of the sudden it started taking on the water the other day when i was going through the breakin it ran fine and it did not take on water then i take it out leave the plug out and it takes on water and now it takes on water when i had the plug in or if it would be something else
                  dsolie thats the thing with the drain plug in my original post i mentioned that i didnt complete my preride check and get the plug in so i had to pulkl the ski out and drain it then install the plug and thats when i noticed after making sure the plug was in that i still was getting water in the hull
                  Bill if i take off the grey cover and put the ski in the water eill it hurt that area where the driveshaft and motor meet what will i need to do regrease the area then reinstall the cover after checking that will it be obvious if the water is coming in there will it do it if it is just on the trailer not going anywhere just running and revving thanks

Comment

Yes, you should grease the pto fitting regularily.

You can remove the cover and watch for a leak into the hull.

Are you sure the water you saw was not water that got caught up front of the hull, then came to the rear when you changed the angle of the boat ?

You could try flooding that area with a garden hose and look for water running out of the hull.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM

Comment

Bill what do you mean by water that got caught up front of the hull? Do you mean water that got into the boat by way of coming in the front or maybe coming in on the back of the boat through the vented areas in the back of the hull I have a 95 GTS and there are two vented areas that if you look in it looks like there is some foam in there and if I were running at WOT and then let off and water rushed up onto the boat and in those holes would that flood the boats hull? If so why wouldnt the bilge that is in the boat rid the hull of the water because it does not even though the water is runing out the two piss holes as Im riding it seems that water is getting in faster than the bilge can get it out

Comment

That stuff is the most common leaks, but you also need to find out why the water isn't being removed. Check that the bailer tubes in the nozzle aren't broke or gone. Also the the hoses are tyrapped up under the seat latch. If this doesn't work right the water can go backwards into the boat thru the bailers and it won't remove water.
                        Dick Bell
                        http://www.hansenskidoo.com

Comment

Check to make sure both bailer tubes are installed in the nozzle. Not sure if your model has them but that is a common place that water gets in. Not alot of water, but some.
                          "I'm doing the best that I can according to my current awareness!"

Comment

When a Sea Doo hull is sitting in the water or on a level surface like a trailer, and the bow is not raised up., water will accumulate under the gas tank toward the front of the hull. If you have the ski on a trailer behind your truck and you pull the drain plugs out, it will only let out some of the water in the hull. The rest will be up front under the gas tank. To drain a PWC, raise the front of the trailer and let all of the water drain out.

Sometimes people think they have a leak when they don't.
                            Bill O'Neal <br>
                            WCM

Comment

Obviously, only if you have drain plug fittings on both sides of the pump. Otherwise you will have to jack up one side while lifting the front.
                              "I'm doing the best that I can according to my current awareness!"

Comment

Working...
                              X