97 GTX Starter Burning Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 GTX Starter Burning Out

I have had a problem with the start going out on my SKI.

1 Had org. starter rebuilt
    2. Install back in ski and starter stopped cranking after very little use (just clicking by solenoid).
    3. Battery OK 13 volts and load tested at a shop.
    4. Meter battery and starter cables under load on problems found.
    5. Replaced the solenoid and had starter repaired (repair shop reported brushes soldered to spindle in starter).
    6. Got after market starter and replaced. After very little use same problem. Cranked hard for short then just clicking again.

NEED HELP – Starter very expensive. Cables are my next step and get starter fixed

Re: 97 GTX Starter Burning Out

Aftermarket and rebuilt starters have not been very kind to me in 15 years of repairing Sea Doo watercraft. Seems like every single time I install an aftermarket or "rebuilt" starter motor in a Sea Doo, it fails within a few hours of use and I end up with a mad customer. I have refused to install them at my shop for a few years now. If the customer insists on using an aftermarket or rebuilt starter motor, I direct them to another repair shop down the road. The owner of that shop loves to do the job twice and work for free. Some aftermarket starter motors will work for awhile, but none as long as an oem starter motor.

My experence using ADCO and GOKI are about the same. I have had failures on as few as the third start, with disentegrated brushes and black brush dust all over the starter motor when removed from the ski. And guess what? They would not replace them........
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Rusty,

Listen to Bill and all the Guru's and get a NEW OEM Starter.

After reading the threads here on aftermarket vs oem starters, I """emphatically""" wanted to order a new oem starter for my 720 and the parts dealer said he didn't have any and would have to order it which would take a few days for him to get it, then a few more days to get it to me.

He said he had one of these aftermarket starters "Aqua Torque" and he has never had one fail. I guess I bought the b.s.

Yesterday I went to take the boat out and the starter just spinned and the bendix didn't engage the flywheel. I tried tapping on it to no avail. I removed the starter and the bendix clutch just spins freely in both directions.

***This aftermarket starter was less than two months old***

I just ordered an OEM Starter and will use the repaired aftercrap as a spare.

Listen to Bill and the Guru's...... Get an NEW OEM.

Hope that helps

SmokeyJoe

Comment

Joe,
        Buy an oem starter clutch and put it on that POS aftermarket starter motor. It sounds like the motor is OK, but the clutch is junk. Then install the new OEM starter in your ski, and sell the aftermarket starter or keep it in the tool box.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
        X