Possible bad crank....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible bad crank....

I bought a 1999 polaris genesis from the owner for 500 bucks and was told that the engine was most likely bad. I went and talked to the service guy from polaris who had listened to it at their house, and he said that crank shaft was bad, and that It would cost me more to have them replace the crank than it would for me to buy an engine from you and install it myself. The Ski was not winterized last year, and he says that it most likely rusted, and that there is probably other damage in there, too. Here is my question....If I buy an engine from y'all, how hard is it going to be for me to pull the old one, and install a new one? I've never done this before. Are there areas that i'm going to mess up and blow the engine by accident that I'm going to have to be careful on? I've already read the instructions on replacing the engine on your website, but I thought I would ask because I've never done it before. Will it hurt the engine worse if I go and run it to make sure that there is something wrong with it in the first place? He never opened it up, just listened to it.

Thanks!
    James

Re: Possible bad crank....

I bought a Polaris sl900 about a month ago and had the motor go out on me about two weeks after I bought it. This is my first ski.

I've been slowly removing the parts necessary to get the motor out and it's pretty easy. Only really worked on it two evenings after work for a couple hours each time and the motor is about ready to pull out.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined after working on quite a few cars, but this is my first PWC that I've worked on, but it's really not that bad if you've got some basic hand tools :)

Comment

If You Continue To Run The Engine With A Bad Crank You Will Most Likely Do More Damage And Will Cost More Money To Fix. Bad Bearings Can Fail And Damage The Cases Costing Quite A Bit More For Replacment. You Would Be Better Off Purchasing A Rebuilt From Sbt Then Trying To Rebuild Yourself. Also If You Are At All Mechanically Inclined And Have The Patients Then Attempt It Yourself. Sbt Has Great Detailed Instructions For The Do It Yourselfer With Each Engine Shipped. Just Make Sure You Have The Necessary Tools And Take Your Time.
      WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

I just did my 99 Genesis swap. It really is pretty easy. I am pretty handy with tools but had never done anything like this before. Took me about 6 hours to get the motor out and about three to put it back in.

Three words of advice.

1. The motor will come out without removing the pump. So skip Step 2 of the SBT instructions

2. The torque on the exhaust manifold bolts is not 40 ft-lbs as listed in the istructions for the installation. Try 40 and you will break the bolts off like I did. The correct number is more like 25 ft-lbs

3. Use the block off kit and go premix
        Last edited by mlyn; 10-08-2004, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I put a crank in my 99 genesis, it had only 40 hours on the motor. I used the sbt instructions and also had a polaris manual it not hard to do just take your time and label wires and hoses to make reinstalling easier. If you do put a new crank in make sure the holes in the crankcase which let oil run to the bearing are drilled out. I had one that was not drilled out properly and caused my bearings to toast.

Comment

Working...
          X