No announcement yet.

04 GTX 4-TEC -SC Gas smell around tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 GTX 4-TEC -SC Gas smell around tank?

With the seat off, I've noticed a faint gas smell in the tank area. I don't notice it around engine, only tank area. For a test to see if the venting check valve was stuck, I disconnected the vent line at the tank and blew into it to see if it released out the venting check valve and it did. I didn't use a compressor or pump just the lungs! I reconnected the hose, tightened the nuts at the top of tank, checked all hose connections near tank for moisture, but didn't see anything. I think it is gas fumes but not sure if it's new fiberglass, the tank or a leak. Any suggestions? I hate taking things back to dealer, they never seem to find anything.

Re: 04 GTX 4-TEC -SC Gas smell around tank?

Just don't light a cigar close to ski...,

I don't have a jetski, but the sportsboat with the same motor has a blower to vent the hull, and the manual says to run this for 5 minutes prior to starting, I can smell gas fumes too and have noticed it on other boats as well.

So I guess the 4-tec ski does not have a hull venting blower.

-G
    2003 Sportster 4-tec

Comment

As with all models and makes of PWC's, you should always open the hood or seat to vent the hull before you EVER touch the start button for the first time after storage or trailering the ski or charging the battery. That is common sense, and is spelled out in every owners manual and safety video.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

If you think it's leaking, take it to a dealer and have the fuel system pressure checked. Also put the keys on & off a couple times, that pumps fuel pressure. Then run your finger around the lines & fittings and see if you get fuel on it.
        Dick Bell
        http://www.hansenskidoo.com

Comment

I have an 04 GTX 4Tec. I can still smell the new fiberglass in the engine compartment. Never smell gas.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I ended up adding a few fittings and a lower scale guage to my compression tester and doing the 5 psi at 10 minute pressure test. It held great! I guess I'm smelling new fiberglass or some odor from the intake duct opening in front of the gas tank.

Comment

mine smelled the same way. I looked around, checked, felt and observed for several rides and didn't see anything. I think its just a combination of the new fiberglass and the new motor. Just like the storage area....it REAKED if new plastic smell when I first got it. Now it just smells normal.

Oh, and Bill....the video i got with my seadoo didn't say a word about taking the seat off to vent the hull....I know it's common knowledge that fumes will explode in hulls but neither the owners manual or the video said to do that.

Comment

Working...
              X