Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP1200 Impeller replacement

hello,
    I am getting ready to put on a XO prop on my 99' GP1200. It looks like, from parkeryamaha, that I need the driveshaft tool and the solas impeller tool. It appears like the XO prop does not have an area for a wrench like the stock impeller. Is the solas impeller tool to install the XO and driveshaft tool to hold the driveshaft while taking off the old and putting on the new?
    Could someone give me a rundown on how to replace the impeller on this ski? I have a manual and it looks fairly straight forward, but you guys give a lot better explaination than the manual.

Thanks so much

Re: GP1200 Impeller replacement

The impeller comes with the impeller tool. Yes you'll need the driveshaft holder. www.impros.com has instructions.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I just found some instructions on impros website. Sorry I was a little hasty on posting this before doing more extensive research.

As you can tell this will be my first impeller replacement. Any suggestions to doing this right would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

It's not hard, just follow the instructions.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

If your stock impeller has never been removed then it most likely will be corroded/seized onto the shaft. On both of mine, I had to heat up the hubs near the shaft good and hot with a propane torch before I could break them loose. When you are ready to install the X0, put a little anti-seize on the shaft threads first. You shouldn't have to tighten the X0 on too tightly onto the shaft as it will tighten itself as it turns in the water once you get the ski back into the water.

Also, now is a good time to replace the grease in the rear bearing cone. Some use just a good quality marine grease, but hearing many are having better results thoroughly mixing 2/3rds synthetic marine grease with 1/3rd 85W-140 gear lube in a small plastic bowl then filling the cone with this mix. This supposedly allows more "flowability" into the bearing and is what I have done on both my ski's now.

Don't know what add-ons you have on your ski, but if its basically a stock ski, you will really notice the difference out of the hole with the X0 vs. the stock impeller. I run X0's on both my '97 and '98 GP's. Ran a Solas J for a while and got about 2mph more top end, but could definitely notice the engine laboring so swapped it back out for the X0. Tough to beat the X0 for the best all around performance on a stock GP.

Comment

Working...
          X