1993 XP Starter problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 XP Starter problem.

I have a starter problem with a 1993 XP (657cc.) When I tried to start it last weekend it made a pretty nasty screeching noise. I pulled it out and took the flywheel cover off. I noticed that the starter was barely turning the flywheel (despite all the noise it was making) and the spring just before the starter gear is broke and mangled.
    I have the starter off and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do. Does the fact that the starter was barely turning indicate a problem within the starter such as a bad clutch? What does the fact that the spring was mangled mean? Any chance I could get away with just replacing the spring or does this sound more serious?
    Should I get a new starter off eBay or try to get this one rebuilt?
    Most importantly, is there any way that this could be my fault? I've only run the ski a few times since I put the new engine from SBT in and it seems odd that the starter would go now, but it did sit for several years without use so maybe it just deteriorated with age. I'm just trying to find out if there is anything that I could have done that would cause the next starter to fail too.
    Thanks in advance!

Re: 1993 XP Starter problem.

Buy a starter clutch and a new spring. It's not the starter motor causing the problem.
    I bet it was a gold starter clutch.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

If you get the stock clutch off and the motor still doesn't seem right get a new starter (we have those for $199) and clean out ALL the metal debris from your flywheel housing, stator and magnets.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks guys. I found one starter shop here in my hometown. I mentioned it was for a SeaDoo and they said they can do diagnosis and rebuilds on it. I'm going to take it by there after work and see what they can do (and how much $$$ it will cost.) Ideally I would like for it to be working by this weekend so I'm in a crunch as far as time goes.

If I need to go DIY on this one I'll go by my local SeaDoo shop and get the part numbers for the clutch and spring. Any idea roughly what these parts will cost? I'll take the part numbers too if you already have them handy.

Comment

295 500 089, starter clutch, spring and circlip about $85.00
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

Thanks...that helps a lot.

Comment

Hmmm...
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=31284

What is the deal with this? It says "Original part numbers - Sea-Doo: 295-500-089" but I don't see a spring. What if I were to buy this and buy the spring elsewhere (maybe from my local starter shop?)

Comment

Did you notice the color-gold? It is not an oem part, it is aftermarket. It will work for awhile, then fail.

The oem starter clutches are metal silver colored, and if you keep them from rusting, they last for years.

But, the aftermarket clutches are cheaper. You get what you pay for.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

Working...
                X