Waverunner LX died, looking for suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waverunner LX died, looking for suggestions

Our toy died Sat. 91 Waverunner LX, 650 single carb.

It ran fine for an hour or so. Then about a mile from the beach, it acted like it lost power, and full throttle took a long time to get it going, and it didn't go like it had been. Seemed to be spinning its wheels, so to speak.

When flushing, it would only rev up so far, then act like it was missing, or overloaded, or on a rev limiter or two step box.

Also noticed a nick in one of the impeller blades, but the engine and impeller seem to turn freely by hand by the coupling, except for compression.

Compression is 130 in front, 135 in back. Plugs were new this year, 10 hrs max, look ok, dark brown/grey. It has a new fuel filter.

It has always taken a lot of cranking to start the first time, and never would idle for more than a minute, without some more throttle. Also, occasionally it would bog if you went totally wide open, but this has never been a problem, we just go as fast as it seems comfortable.

I removed the carb Sun, disassembled and reassembled with the old gaskets.
    Everything looked clean, jets, filter, etc. Last person to work on it nearly rounded the slots out of some of the screws....

Put it back together, and now it will not start. Fired with starting fluid, and caught on a couple times, but would not run.

A timing light says both plugs are firing.

A carb gasket kit is on order.

One head bolt on the front port side has a small external water leak when flushing, and I assume, when running, but based on the compression, it does not appear to leak water into the cylinder. I removed the exhaust manifold and retorqued all the headbolts in May.

Only other thing is that it may have a somewhat oil rich mixture in the tank, since I put oil for 3 gals in but it only took 2 gals of gas, twice in a row.

Any suggestions?

Long winded, sorry. Thanks for the help.

Re: Waverunner LX died, looking for suggestions

Sounds like a carb/fuel pump and/or plugged fuel line/filter problem to me. You may also want to try running the ski with the gas cap off to make sure that it wasn't the check valve on the fuel tank not letting air into the tank and causing it to build a vacuum.

I don't know exactly how the flame arrestors are attached to the carbs on these skis, but if possible you might want to try dumping a good splash of fuel mix into each of the carbs and see if it will start that way (by the way, you can blow a head gasket very easily using starting ether). If it will run for 10-15 seconds off this fuel, then I'd say for certain that its one of the things I listed above.

Comment

Working...
    X