Dealer can't fix Genesis i FICHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dealer can't fix Genesis i FICHT

They certainly seem to be getting quite a bit of experence from your ski. I hope it's not all at your expense.

Dave
    Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

If it starts right up and runs again then you have one of the following problems. Low 45volt generation, bad fuel pump or connections, bad fuel pressure regulation. To see if the 45 volt magneto is working correctly have the tech connect a volt meter to any location where there is a constant 45 volts, as well as a ground from the 45v system (very easy to find) he will have to use a pin to go through the insulation, keep an eye on what the voltage is doing, then right before it dies what does it do? Stay the same drop off, or slowly faid. Next test, install a fuel pressure gauge and watch the fuel pressure as the craft runs, how much does it varry when you rev it alittle and what does it do before it dies? Does the pressure stay up after the craft has died? Does it die at the same time perriod each time (say 5 mins of running) if so then a lose connection is 99.9% chance not the problem.

Hope this helps, If you have any other questions about the Ficht system let me know, I am a Computer Engineer for the Firm that wrote and designed the EMM that run the Fitch system. Worked on it for 3 years before being moved to another project, trust me I know those systems much much too well , spent more time with it then my wife for a few months
      Last edited by FastUltra; 10-22-2004, 09:14 PM.
      Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
      2002-1100STX DI
      2004-15F
      2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

One thing I forgot, what year is the craft? Does the Ficht sticker say Ram Injection on it? If yes then I think the fuel pressure is the problem, but I'm still wondering why the magneto had so many problems
        Last edited by FastUltra; 10-22-2004, 09:14 PM.
        Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
        2002-1100STX DI
        2004-15F
        2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Thanks Fastultra

I emailed your suggestion to the dealer. Will keep you all posted.

It's a 99 Genesis i. There is no Ram Injection marking. At least not on the sticker on the outside of the ski.

Comment

Fastultra, This is the reply from my dealer tech.

Maurice,

this is brandon, the tech..... this is the procedure we have followed since i took over this job from the previous tech. you can advise your contact that at the time off failure the 45 volt reference dies down in the low 30's and voltage to the fuel pump completely dies. all of this immediately at the time of the unit quiting. it is such a scenario that it acts as if the emm is recieving the comand to shut down from the stop button.

i am sorry, but i haven't had the time this week to look further into the problem and i have a few more tricks to try. any input from your contact will be well recieved and definately implemented in the repair of your unit.

thanks, brandon

Comment

Strange...

I am very puzzled about that, I think they are on the right track, if the magneto stopes generating enough current to keep the EMM runing the fuel pump will turn off right away, also if the stop button is pushed the the 45volt buss will drop down to 25 or so volts, only enough to record the last few events into the EMM memory (ie the Injector and Spark controlers are all shut off and only the main Computer inside the EMM is running)
              One way to eliminate the stop button would be to interupt the flow to ground, by just unplugging the Input side of the button.
              It would be very hard to see exactly what is happening in the magneto while the engine is running.

A few tests that might seem like they would work but won't are:
              Provide the EMM with battery power (like during a Computer Diag.) will not work, because the 45volts is still used for the injectors and spark.

Providing 45 volts to the EMM by means other then the magneto (transformer) will not work and will cause many error codes and very very funny things to happen due to the fact that the EMM is used to having to change many things inorder to keep the 45 volt system stable, like during startups and high rpms. It connects and disconnects the magneto coils many times and seeing a constant clean 45volts will just confuse everything. I wish I could be more help then just telling you what not to do, but to tell you the truth I am out of ideas. The 3 things that I can think off to check has already been looked at: Stop button, magneto, internal EMM, which without going through it step by step with a schematic it is just a replace item. I know some dealers are brave enough to open it up, but its not much good with out a schematic, and a schematic for your EMM is probably 100 or more pages.

I hope that this can be solved and that this helps,

Good luck Paul
              Paul

2001-Level 2 Ultra 150
              2002-1100STX DI
              2004-15F
              2002-30' Baja Outlaw

Comment

Originally posted by 1fastski.com
                the FICHT computer is water cooled , it will shut down when hot , make sure the water line going though the computer is clear . { try to blow though the line that goes into the computer from the block } it should be 100% free flow . if not the computer over heats after 5 min of running and shuts down . as for paying the dealer OR any shop that can not figure out or fix your ski you owe them 0 . not a penny . nice or not you should not be paying for a guessing game or for them to learn on your time . now if they tell you { this is the problem its going to be this much to fix } thats a differnt story BUT find out how long the problem should take to figure out { for a dealer } every thing has a flat rate .
                I've just had this exact problem happen to me. Bought a 2004 MSX 140 with 11.3 hrs on it, took it to the water and it ran great for 20minutes before going into limp mode. After much investigation (and thanks to this forum and this particular discussion thread) I was able to marrow down the search to the EMM FICHT computer cooling circuit. Turns out the clown that had the ski before me never bothered to flush it out properly and a salt deposit had eventually caused a blockage in the exit cooling hose (ie, the one on the outlet) of the EMM. Cleared the blockage, she's running like a dream.... Thanks for the hint 1fastski.com, sure helped sort this out in a hurry.

Comment

when i first got my 2001 slx 1200 it wouldn't start ...the tach showed it cranking at 570 rpm but wasn't getting any spark.....took it back to dealer...when got there no starter.....so he change the starter then the small electrical box in the big electric box <<<<<(can't remember what the thing was callked...been a while since i looked at it) he had it a month....all was coverd under warranty....but finally what it come down to was a bad wiring harness....a mouse went to town on my ski's wiring....

Comment

Working...
                  X