Flush connections for Waverunner 500 and Waveraider 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flush connections for Waverunner 500 and Waveraider 700

I've got a used 89 Waverunner 500 and a 96 Waveraider 700. I have located what seem to be the flush connections on the engines but I'd like a 2nd opinion or 3 before I actually buy the hardware and hook everything up. I already removed the screws and both screws are identical. Pictures of the screw holes are shown below.

The first image shows the Waverunner 500 engine from a few feet away with an arrow pointing to the screw hole. The 2nd image is a closeup. This one seems fairly obvious since the word WASH is right next to it.

The 3rd image is the Waveraider 700 engine from a few feet away with an arrow pointing to the screw hole. The 4th image is a closeup with a red arrow pointing to the screw hole and a green arrow pointing to what I believe is the water connection to the head, which you can see connects via a hose to just below the screw hole. That make this seem obvious as well, but like I said, I want to make sure.

What's hard for me to believe is that you can get enough water through any fitting that will fit a hole that small to cool the engine. I mean, the hole itself is only about 1/4" in diameter. Any fitting going into that hole is going to use some of that for the wall of the fitting, so you're left with a hole that at most would be about 3/16". Can that really be big enough?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Flush connections for Waverunner 500 and Waveraider 700

Both Red Arrows Are Your Flush Ports. They Are Plenty Big Enough To Carry The Volume Of Water Needed To Flush The Unit. Put A Hose Connection On These Ports And You Will Be Ready To Flush.
    WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Cool. Thanks.

Comment

Mine has the hose permanently connected. I wonder if that would cause any problems?

Comment

I don't see why it would, as long as you keep the end capped. :) In fact, I've seen some quick connect flush kits where part of the kit was obviously meant to stay connected permanently.

Comment

I connected mine permanently by fitting a barb into the wash hole and fabricating a wash hose, such that the hose ended just at the top. That way the hose is always ready to go and it's right where I want it. Check it often, though, as this area is subject to a lot of vibration. Once, my hose barb actually backed out and flooded the boat. I thought it was a plug in the back leaking, so I tried to "ride it dry" which only pumped more water into the inside. So, make a tightness check part of your everyday routine check.

As for sufficient water to keep the engine cool, it will, FOR A WHILE. The flush fitting is not meant to be a substitute for in-water cooling, as you're actually working backwards in the flow. So use the flush for just that, flushing the system of salt water and short (less than 5 minute) testing. Longer than that and you'll risk losing the seal in the front of the jet pump.

Comment

Working...
            X