Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-tec Coil and Plugs

Hi All.

Well it's time to put the boat away and I had in the water one last time today. coooool, water was 51F...

Anyways, changed the oil and filter on the 4-tec and pulled the plugs to winterize.

The coil top end has a rubber seal to keep the coil centered and debris out, the bottom inch on 2 cylinders (front and back cylinder) the rubber seal was almost disintegrated, almost like it was too hot.
    (I mean the rubber part that goes into the hole)

Question 1: anybody else seen this on 4-tec or 4-tec SC ??.

Plugs, all plugs seemed wet around the bottom piece of the ceramic , and one plug has a hairline crack all the way around,all were brown at bottom of ceramic.
    Engine runs 100% and plugs were tight.

Question 2: are the factory plugs any good, are the "wet" and hairline crack a sign of anything or just time to change plugs.

-Gab.
    2003 Sportster 4-tec

Re: 4-tec Coil and Plugs

I think my #3 cylinder seal is doing that. I've also noticed discolored ceramic around the plugs metal base which I am guessing is from heat. Does SD sell the seal separately or will we have to get the whole coil?

Don't notice any moisture on the plugs and would definitely replace the plugs when you ride in the spring. I change plugs once per year on my 4 stroke and don't put over 100 hours/season.

Comment

Re: 4-tec Coil and Plugs

One dealer checked and said the rubber piece is only available with denso coil part @ $129.00 crap.

Here's a note from NGK, on the browning on plugs for those who are wondering.

"The brown deposits noted above the metal shell- this is a common appearance that is noticed on automotive applications as well. This is called a “Corona stain” which is the result of oil particles in the air being trapped on the insulator from the high voltage going through your system. Many believe this to be blow by which it is not! No performance drop will be noted with these deposits"

-G
      2003 Sportster 4-tec

Comment

Working...
      X