97 ZXI 750 Pump Maintence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 ZXI 750 Pump Maintence?

One of my buddies has a 97 Kawasaki ZXI 750. I was telling him that I've changed the pump oil in my Sea Doo and lubed the pump in my Yamaha. He's never done any type of maintence on his pump. I'm not sure what type of pump maintence should be done on the Kawasaki, any suggestions as to what he should be doing?

Re: 97 ZXI 750 Pump Maintence?

Kawis use pre-greased sealed bearings and there is not a whole lot of maintainence to be done other than dissasembly and seal inspection and/or seal/bearing replacement. Not sure of the pump design of the 97 zxi, but if its the same as the 95 zxi, he needs to inspect the stainless wear ring liner of his pump housing for raised up spots in it and also his clearance between the pump and impeller (sorry do not have the tolerance specs handy) Because salt water seeps in between the stainless, and aluminum, the ensuing electrolosis of the aluminum raises and puts erratic bumps in the wear ring, and the impeller hits it and wears down, causing to much clearance between the ring and the impeller, cavitation is the result. If eveident, impeller and pump housing replacent are needed. See my threads on "cavitation fustration", and "hot prop topic"a few pages back. Rob
    ride it like you stole it

Comment

Working...
    X