Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 STX Teaser

Tech,

I believe I have a weird one even for you.

The ski will start and run perfectly and turn 7150 Rpms then it will die suddenly like a seize. As soon as it happens I back off throttle. Then engine is idling and it will pick back up. If I stay at 46 mph at 6600rpm it will run flawlessly all day long.

Compression is good. Cylinders look great. Fuel tank and external filters clean and there is flow through carb. (Can't find internal filters) Mix is correct.

Need help I want to enjoy the new year ASAP. Thanks in advance to everyone on this board and SBT. Without whom owning a jetski would require a pit crew.

Regards,

Re: 98 STX Teaser

My guess is the filter screens in the carbs are partially blocked with debris. But, whatever the problem, you had better fix it before the motor actually does sieze for lack of fuel.
    Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Where exactly are those screens? I downloaded both articles on the CV carbs and it shows the part but not where it is from. It looks like it is the seat. What am I missing? Thanks again Bill.

Comment

I found the screens in the carb and cleaned them but found no obstructions. I also blew the carbs with air with them out. I also removed the fuel selector and cleaned the pickup screens in the tank and they were not obstructed. However, in all this fun I pulled the head off to check the cylinders for damage. Studs started breaking. I have replaced 3 but now intend to change them all. I have reused the head gasket a couple of times at this point. I have gotten away with it on race car engines but could this have anything to do with anything?

Comment

Working...
        X