X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 JS650SX Need info

So this guy is selling this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

As it is stated he lost spark and is told he needs to replace the stator plate.

I did the search on this and haven't found out much about this problem. He also states however tried to work on it couldn't get the flywheel off. Is this a common issue ??

I read in the search that 200lbs 6 foot riders this isn't the greatest standup ski but is it worth a shot ??

Thanks,

Chad
    sigpic
    Chad C
    Mauldin, SC
    2007 FX Cruiser

Re: 1987 JS650SX Need info

Go for it, it look like it's in great shape.
    "It needs a new stator plate and I was told the flywheel could not be removed"
    I don't think he and who told him know much about jetski.

Spend the money and buy a shop manuel for the ski and it will show and tell how to remove the flywheel, it can be done whit the motor in the hull.

SBT sell a rebuild motor for about $700.

Comment

Let's not get carried away here....

$1500.00 for an '87 650 seems awfully high to me, especially for one that is not running. And did you look at the hull in front? The $600.00 starting price even seems high though it does come with the trailer. Whatever it sells for, you still have to get it running and while it could be as simple as a broken wire somewhere it could be as bad as a new motor plus who knows what else.
      The end of last summer I looked at an '89 650 that came with a trailer for $650.00. It ran good but the hull was a little rougher than the one shown. Two months ago I bought an '89 JS550 for $500.00 that starts and runs sweet and looks almost new, but no trailer.
      Honestly, I'd keep looking. Give it a month or so, after the credit card bills start to hit. I always get the best deals in February.
      JMHO
      Dave
      PS, Chad, I live about 30 min or so from the city where that ski is. If you are still REALLY intrested, I could maybe go by and look at it. But keep in mind, I'm already biased against it.
      Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will appear as magic.

Comment

I wouldn't mind that at all if I decide to go for it. I have got the guy to accept $900 cash right now for it.

I can fix the ski in a heart beat and if it needed a new engine (which I hope not) then that would sorta s#$$ck!!!

Anyhow I could bring my compression guage with me and he said it turns over fine. I could find out alot about the engine this way.

Now onto my second concern. What is this 650CC engine going to do as far as performance with a big man like myself ????
        sigpic
        Chad C
        Mauldin, SC
        2007 FX Cruiser

Comment

$900.00 is no great deal even if it runs perfectly....... Keep looking.

A 650 is marginal for a 200 lb man to ride. It will do it, but a 750 will do it much better.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

i agree w/bill o,

$900 would be too steep for me, although the 650 was a good engine in my opinion, the 750 would be the engine of choice and it can fit in that hull if needed to.

the stator plate was common to brake and somewhat easy to fix if the flywheel comes off easy. hopefully there is nothing else damaged.

i've seen better deals and honestly would get a 750 and im sure you can find one around that price in good shape if you shop around.

im 180#'s, the stock 550 was a joke but fun, the 550 heavily modified was great, the 650 gets the job done in my 550 hull and is similar in its stock form to my modded 550. but for all out power, for a heavier rider than i, the 750 sx/sxi would be hands down the choice for me. bigger wider hull, more power, loads of parts out there at great deals, ethicly the best choice.
            cameron "da river rat"<br />3x pro runabout 720 engine blower!<br />(jetskianist~adictionist~modificationist)

Comment

You're better off to pass on that deal. If that flywheel is that hard to get off, it may have cold welded itself to the crankshaft (been there several times). Once you do get the flywheel off, you will notice that the tapers on the flywheel and the crankshaft will be severely damaged = new flywheel & new crankshaft.

Chester

Comment

*You could get a 750sx for about 1500-2000, keep looking and just stay patient, a good deal will pop up eventually.
                Jetdude

Comment

Thats pretty steep for an 87. Especially not running. I see them for sale in my area for 800-1100 all time in running condition usally with a trailer. You could just be buying someones elses headache. People can say anything they want about what they think is wrong with a ski and 75% of the time it turns out to be more wrong with it than what you were told. I agree with the other posts. Give it some time,look around and if you want to spend that much money buy something that you can at least hear run.A 650 may not be a bad starter. They will considerably outperform a 550. I am 6-2" 235# and still ride my sons 650 with ease. Although a 750 will be more managable and have more power if set up correctly.
                  WATERCRAFT SERVICES. PROVIDING THE RESIDENTS OF HOUSTON AND SURROUNDING AREAS WITH QUALITY WORK ON THEIR PWC AT A FAIR PRICE.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                    $900.00 is no great deal even if it runs perfectly....... Keep looking.

A 650 is marginal for a 200 lb man to ride. It will do it, but a 750 will do it much better.
                    I have a 89 650 TS that seems like it is running on 1.5 cylinders.. I have pulled and put new crank seals, fuel pump,stator plugs, reeds, and tons of hours ,, I'm lost still runs like it is starving for gas, sonetimes idles and sometimes dies,, I did also rebuild the carb... any ideas

Comment

Mabe nead moor power. 650 is low HP.Go to 750 model. Moor power.How fat are you? I overload some models too so i upgrated to a larger model.

Comment

Working...
                      X